1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with inifinity speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by smittylube, Jan 7, 2008.

1. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So I installed dynomat & Reference 6020's in the front & loved the improvement, then went to do the same to the rear with the 60.7cs and found the rears distorting.
    Still have the stock amp etc. even tried switching the polarity- no help.
    Sounds fine at lower volume - but past 32 or so it get garbled on the base(I think).

I originally expected to add an amp- but am a bit worried I will get some humm or buzz at low volume with the high to low output converters.

Any suggestions?
    Oh yeah non JBL system. & BTW I incorporated the tweets into the stock cover for mounting- maybe that is my problem- it is blocking the base.
    Should I try removing the tweets and using the crossover- or just go direct to the woofer? I have no problem mounting the rear tweets in the panel.

Steve

2. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What if i add a 2 ohm resistor?

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just to clarify, are you using the cross-over that came with the speakers? If not, that would be something to try.

4. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes I tried it with crossover & tweeter, then w/o crossover to the woofer, then eliminated the crossover & tweeter & found a usable sound.
    I suspect the stock radio has some sort of crossover to only allow the bass to the rear & it was not happy like that.

So I finished it off this morning w the latest Kenwood KSC SW10 in the rear hatch & I am extremely happy w the sound. Very full, you can dial in too much base so I toned it down a little & now even the radio sound great.
    I fed the sub from the rears connected in the pillars as others have noted, installed the spade jumper at the power outlet #1 & positive off the rear 12 v battery, grounded it at the body ground cable bolt. Velcro to keep it from sliding. Great buy for $150.
    Dramatic overall improvement from stock- dynamat, speakers & a sub.

WELL worth it in time & $.

Steve

5. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BTW I plan on installing dynamat in the spare tire area as well-(ran out for now) you say 'hatch' where did you do it in the hatch?

I was thinking if I did the rear strut towers this might help a ton as well.

Steve

6. VanMelum

VanMelum VanMelum

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Either :

A) You connected the wires backwards (65% chance)

B) One of the speakers is blown (>1%)

C) The wires are grounding out somewhere (25%)

D) Not enough power from stock amp (10%)

7. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah I even tried switching the wires just in case sparky's install guide was wrong- guess what- the same pic is on the alldata info.

Either way it did not sound good till I set it up this way. It sounds great now!

Steve