1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with installing speakers in pillars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rcrodriguez2, Nov 19, 2006.

1. rcrodriguez2

rcrodriguez2 Junior Member

I have a brand new 2007 without the premium JBL system. I will be doing other upgrades later, but I figured adding tweeters in the pillars would be a quick way to improve the sound. I need some help, though, since Crutchfield doesn't have any help on the Prius.

1. Are the pillar speaker locations pre-wired?
    2. What size speakers?
    3. How do I remove the panels there?

Thanks in advance!

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSFC Rocket Prius @ Nov 19 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]351667[/snapback]</div>
    Be really careful. You might want to check were the air bags are and where to they deploy, where the wiring is, etc.

3. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have an '07 package #2, and there are already tweeters in the pillars. Are you positive you don't already have them?

4. rcrodriguez2

rcrodriguez2 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Nov 19 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]351783[/snapback]</div>
    You are right, I checked the specs and it says 6 speakers. Thank you for helping out!! :)

I'd still like to know how to get the plastic covers/mounts off. I imagine the stock speakers are pretty cheap and it'd be an easy replacement that would improve the sound.

Also, I'd like to buy speakers from Crutchfield since they have such good info, but it tells me that they don't have any info on the Prius (I tried back to 2005). Any idea what gives?

5. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSFC Rocket Prius @ Nov 20 2006, 12:56 AM) [snapback]351991[/snapback]</div>
    Those plastic tweeter housings in the sail pillar just pop off. Pry the top of the mount away from the window frame and the top pressure clip should pop out. then there's a little plastic clip the snugs the bottom edge
    up to the door panel...just pull up once the top pressure clip is out. You'll need to depress the catch on the
    speaker wire plug to unplug it once you've got the housing off.
    Have fun.....
    Just about any tweeter you could put in will be an improvement. Make sure your replacement tweeter is either connected to a passive crossover (which come with most aftermerket component speaker sets) or at least a capacitor to block the low frequencies; you'll notice the factory tweet has a little cap mounted on it for this purpose.