1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with light bulbs...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alex Tsarevskiy, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Alex Tsarevskiy

Alex Tsarevskiy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone, I'm new here so bear with me. I'm having a difficult time finding the proper model/size for my lights replacement. I have my left headlight and left brake/tail light not working due to age I suppose ( I have Toyota Prius 2008). Also, my dash board lights not working at all and my dad suggested to replace it first before buying new lights because he thinks it could be a problem with the connection, but I have already changed my right headlight bulb a year ago. Anyways, I'm not sure what i'm going to do with the dashboard but I do need to get new lights.
    So I found these light bulbs on ebay based on the model/size: H4 (9003)
    CREE COB H4 HB2 9003 1500W 225000LM LED Headlights Kit Hi/Low Power Bulbs 6000K

I came to a problem when it comes to which hatchback I have, the Base or the Touring... I couldn't figure it out. I checked my VIN number online, couldn't find it, I checked the Pink slip, wasn't there either. So I just decided to check for lights that fit both. Also, there's an issue if my car has Halogen bulbs or I can put LED in it? I'm struggling with this, so if anyone could help me out? I'm also looking for tail/brake lights and I couldn't find it...

Thank you guys for your time!

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    tires: 185/65R15 (base) vs 195/55R16 (touring)
    fog lights: standard on touring
    HID head lights: standard on touring

Be specific.
    This image is from the owners manual. You really should read it.
    upload_2018-11-15_23-35-24.png
    a= Rear Turn Signal Light (TOP)
    b= Back-up light (middle)
    c= Tail light
    not picutred= BRAKE Light; its an LED assembly; replace w/ new or used rear assembly, or replace dead LEDs (beyond your capability)

So, which rear bulb is actually out?

Again, be specific. Its helpful to know the name of the vehicle part(s) in question. Since you do not, you could provide a more accurate description of "dash board" light that is out.
    1a) Combo-meter: P/R/N/D/B, Spedometer, Odometer, Tripmeter, Fuel Gauge
    upload_2018-11-15_23-52-6.png
    1b) If so, have you turned the illumination up?
    upload_2018-11-15_23-44-25.png
    1c) The combo-meter could be bad. Contact Matt at Texas Hybrid Batteries for a repaired replacement.

2) Instrument Cluster: Service reminder indicators and indicator lights
    upload_2018-11-15_23-57-12.png

crapBay is a horrible source for exact part fitment. Best is Philips Automotive Bulbs:Find Autmotive bulbs for your vehicle | Philips Automotive Bulb Lookup

Keep the same type of bulb that came with the car. Trying to upgrade the bulb to something other than what came w/ the car is a WASTE of money. Why? Very smart people (called Engineers) designed the headlight housing to maximize the light output from the halogen or HID bulb. LED headlights existed when your car was made. But the very smart people chose NOT to make LED headlights available. Trying to upgrade by retrofitting an LED bulb kit from crapBay into the OEM housing that was designed only for a halogen or HID bulb will produce CRAP light output. Put this "LED" money into a mutual fund; a superior investment.

It is highly recommended to replace bulbs in pairs (esp headlight bulbs)?
    1) The other bulb will burn out soon enough.
    2) Safety. The old bulb will be dim compared to the new bulb. Maximize visibility by both bulbs being bright.
    3) Rear bulbs should also be replaced in pairs too. Choose long life bulbs for obvious reason; minimal cost increase compared to regular life bulbs.

Check the engine oil level regularly. The more frequent the better: every gas fill-up, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc. All cars burn oil. High mileage Prius are known to burn oil. Keep the oil level near the top dimple (FULL mark); don't overfill. Too many people DON'T check the engine oil level until warning lights appear; too late engine damage (sometimes catastrophic).

Checking tire pressure is a good practice too. Get a good digital tire gauge.

#2 exstudent, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    05PreeUs and SFO like this.
  3. Alex Tsarevskiy

Alex Tsarevskiy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well thank you for the detailed reply.

As for the dash board, the instrument cluster not working. Nothing lights up besides the right side air bag light and the turn signals when I use them. The car has a brain of its own, sometimes it will turn on the dashboard and everything will be working just fine, but the next time I turn it on it would be pitch black. I already have a replacement dashboard and I'll looking into getting it replaced.

As for the light bulbs, yes I'm planning to replace all the light, at least the main ones like headlights/brake/tail lights. Just looked at the manual and it's funny that it doesn't have the model/size number for the headlights (H4 [9003]) which I found ridiculous, but I figured it out that I my lights are in fact halogen bulbs, so i'm going to order those and replace them.

As for the tires and oil pressure I'm all good. Changing my oil every 5000+ miles and rotating my tires at the same time.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I appreciate all the help.

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed with one note. IMO, putting the LED money in the toilet and flushing is an equal "investment".

There are a very few LED headlamp bulbs that are decent quality, but they also cost about $50/ea and as others have correctly pointed out, do NOT produce better/more usable light.