1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with moving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fezzik, Dec 7, 2016.

1. fezzik

fezzik New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I apologize if I'm asking a redundant question. I'm getting ready to move from Illinois to California. I will work as a traveler so I'm planning to pack everything I need in my Prius. I won't need a moving truck, but I was wondering if there is anything I can rent to haul my Prius so that I don't have to rack up all those miles on my car. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Car transport company will do it.

Adding 2000 miles on a prius is nothing. I suggest you just drive

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Possibly the worst time of year to do this move, based on winter weather. However, if you are going to California, you could take a southern route and avoid the notorious winter death traps, such as I-80 etc.

Know that the snow in the high passes of the InterMountain American West is a taxing barrier to anyone.

Anyway, there are often tire chain requirements this time of year. I will say that California, AFAIK is a bit better about clearing snow and ice from the mountain highways than it's neighboring states, but still nothing I would want to deal with if I did not have to -- Interstate 10 is your friend. LOL.

As for not driving your Prius, as mentioned, a car transport company would be your easiest bet. The other route would to be rent a truck with a car carrier and drive it out yourself. As said, though, I would just drive the Prius -- along the southern routes....

As you probably know the Prius traction "cut-out" is not the best feature of this car on slippery roads.

4. fezzik

fezzik New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the replies. I think driving would be my best bet even though it seems like a lot of miles. The other methods are crazy expensive. I definitely will want to take a southern route and hopefully avoid any bad weather.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your car is problem free, just drive it to California. Do not do any maintenance before coming here, you don't want issues with the maintenance item. Maybe just make sure the oil level is correct and add if needed before leaving

#5 JC91006, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016