1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with MPG...Bought Used 2010 prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by skim518, Oct 2, 2012.

1. skim518

skim518 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Last week I bought a used 2010 prius with 36k miles and love the car so far. Two days ago, I realized that my average mpg was 29.5, and was very shocked that it was so low. I was told that the average mpg without any special driving is 50 mpg ( I know its an average, so less or more) and with special driving (pulsing & gliding) you can get closer to 60mpg. This is a certified vehicle from the dealership and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this problem?

Since I noticed I was averaging 29.5mpg, I started to try the pulse and glide technique more and drive more conversativeley. I raised my avg mpg to about 33 in two days but feel like my avg mpg's should be a lot higher? Anyone have any tips for a newbie??? Thanks.

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    First reset the tripometer or fill the tank and start over, then see what you are averaging after three of four days, if you drive it like a normal car you really should get around 43-46. You have to work some for fifty+.

3. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The other factor that can make a big difference is the length of your average trip. When the Prius first starts it will run the engine until it warms up. Depending on the temperature this could be anywhere from a minute or two to 5 or 10 minutes, and during this initial warm up time your gas mileage will only be in the 20's or 30's since the engine is running all the time. If you only drive for a few miles then most of your trip will be spent with the engine running to warm up and your fuel economy will be rather low.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a week is too early to get concerned about mpg. Make sure you have reset both trip/mpg meters since buying the car, to clear out any interference from previous drivers. Then don't do anything special now, just drive 'normally' for a full tank in order to get used to the car and establish a baseline. Working too hard for high mpg at the start can be self defeating, and without a baseline for comparison you don't really know if special driving methods are working or not. It is too easy to do it wrong.

Sometime after the first full tank, post here with your answers to this questionaire: Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new.

Two things you must do right now:

(1) Check your tire pressure. It should be at least 35 psi in front, 33 rear, but no more than the max number molded into the sidewall, when cold in the morning. If measured after driving a few miles or the sun's heat warms the tires, it will be higher. More pressure is better for mpg, but worse for ride comfort.

(2) Check oil level, confirm that it is close to full, but not way over.

Some optional things now, not mandatory yet:

(3) Check battery voltage, making sure it is above 12V in the morning before ignition is first turned on. This is more important with old batteries. Your 2010 is young enough that this is not likely a problem yet. And unlike the older models, your console doesn't have a convenient built-in diagnostic readout, so a separate device is needed to make this check.

(4) Reset one of the trip meters every morning, so that you can watch how MPG changes through the day. It will start out pathetically low, then improve as the car warms up and driving distance increases. Even very slight uphill grades will reduce mpg. The round trip figure at the end of your day is the only one that matters.

Right now, this daily mpg reset will highlight the mpg penalty of engine warmup and short trips. (It is even worse on non-hybrids, but usually hidden by lack of an mpg display.) Later, it will provide rapid feedback about what special driving methods work better than your normal baseline style.

5. skim518

skim518 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the replies. I will reset the the trip odometers after I fill up again and see how I do then. Hoping to be in the 45-50 range by then.