1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with new stereo system?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by losgar, Apr 24, 2016.

1. losgar

losgar Junior Member

I have been researching getting a new stereo system for my 2008 prius. It is just the standard car. No navigation system or JBL.

I managed to somehow short out/blow up/fry my head unit while unplugging and plugging my 12volt battery. The only thing that works now are the tweeters in the doors by the mirrors. I wanted to upgrade the stereo system anyway.

After many hours wasted I have tentatively decided on 4 Infinity Reference X REF-6500cx's, the Alpine SPS-110TW's and Infinity Reference REF1200S 12" Shallow Mount Subwoofer. I am kind of leaning towards the Pioneer FHX820BS for the head unit.

Should I put links to that stuff?

I only have a $200 to 250 left after all the above for amps, if they are needed.

But I am not sure about anything. If someone can tell me anything about this set up, I would greatly appreciate it. Do I need an amp? 2 amps? Are any of these speakers too much or too little? Is the woofer going to take up too much room?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if the pioneer puts out typical wattage, you shouldn't need an amp to run your replacement speakers at non-idiotic volume levels. the sub of course needs an amp, but as far as taking up too much room, that's your decision. some folks don't mind using up the cargo space with subs; I need all that space for stuff I need to haul.
    but you will need a metra axxess or equivalent steering wheel button interface, and an adapter harness. crutchfield will have everything you need to do a clean install. I hope you know how to solder.