1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with new tires and dealer vs. third party

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Hobson's Choice, May 22, 2011.

1. Hobson's Choice

Hobson's Choice New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Greetings,

I've got a 2010 Prius and am in need of some new tires. The last oil change at the dealer, they quoted me over $1000 for new tires and wheel alignment, which seems absurd to me! So, I've done some looking and found the hankook optimo h727's to be a nice, cheaper option. Would love to hear any other ideas though.

Also, I'm a bit concerned bringing my car elsewhere, being an 'advanced' car, will other shops know what they are doing?? Am I being crazy?? I'm always skeptical of the dealer...especially the one I go to in Manhattan...

Please, let me know your thoughts and/or experiences, especially in the NYC area.

Many thanks!!

2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    why would you need new tires on new car? any of them got damaged?

Check tirerack.com they have local installers should be some in your area.
    Recommended Installers

With respect to tires I'd go with EP422, OEMs (if you only need one tire) or Michelin Energy Saver.

Not sure what would be the best local place to do alignment good luck

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, that price is absurd. The previous poster pointed you to Tirerack, which is a decent start point for looking at prices of tires that will fit on your car.

I too wonder why you need new tires at this point. Although I can't speak to any recommendations, there is a list of LRR tires at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...resistant-replacement-tires-current-list.html. I'd shy away from buying summer tires for NY in the event you have snow and don't have your snow tires installed.

4. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too would recommend Bridgestone Ecopia ep422 great all season tire. As far as only going to dealer your Prius is advanced but not in the rim and tire department so yes I would say in that aspect you are a little paranoid:) any reputable shop could change your tires if they needed to be changed. You could check out tirebuyer.com they have most tires available and will give you price installed on your vehicle.

5. TireVan

TireVan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its rather early for you to be needing new tires! I'd confirm that you check to ensure that you need tires for starters. Use a tread depth gauge (can be found at a local auto parts store) or download one here. tirevan.com/facebook

The prices from the dealer do sound absurd. To answer your question about comfortability, most local reputable shops can change tires on your Prius. Its not like working with its battery so do a little research about local shops and take it to someone reputable.

As for tires, the EP422 is a decent choice although there are better options for the price. The EP422 is about a 40k tire with average handling and traction. Take a look at BFG Advantage T/A which is a 55k mile tire and much better handling and traction. They also have a mail in rebate of $50 right now! Also, consider Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (eco friendly, 60k mile tire) & Michelin Harmony (75k mile tire). These will be much better value than the EP422 and significantly better performance!!! Price should range in the $625 - $675 (installed).

6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :welcome:
    I just put on Hankook Ventus V12's on and love them, was on Michelin P2's, 1/3rd the price, quietier and excellent in rain, not familiar with the optimo, but am impressed with the company.
    No reason to use the dealer, he's trying to retire early with your help, google your area for a better deal. Any competent mechanic can change your oil, if you have to go to a dealer for a recall no big deal, just don't drink the koolaid.
    If you buy a set of steel rims with snow tires mounted you can just switch wheels twice a year (assuming you have storage room for the other set) Tire wrack would be a good source.
    Studded snow tires will make your prius a go anywhere anytime winter beast.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check out Costco. In their Automotive|Tires section, enter your vehicle stat's, and see what's available. In our area they undercut most everyone. Tirerack is cheaper I think, but for a nearby, bricks-and-mortar location Costco's hard to beat. Mention the tire pressure monitors, see what they say about working with them.

Also, per other responders: what mileage have you got on the factory tires? What are they? Have you put a lot of miles on, or you're just not happy with them?

And are you 2010 or 2011? Not that it really matters.

If you just want a decent Low Rolling Resistance all-season, I'd suggest Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 195/65R15. They are one of the Toyota supplied OEM tires, for previous II through IV. We got a set put on a previous Honda Civic Hybrid, through Costco, worked out great.

I believe out-the-door-with-tax price was $490.00CAN (exact, just coincidence). That was with a $70 Michelin rebate for set of four applied. Note: Costco applies such rebates at the time of purchase, reducing sales tax, and avoiding mail-in rebate hassle (at least in Canada).

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I also recommend tirerack.com. I've used them a few times and their prices and selection was the best I found. You can get the tires drop shipped to your preferred installer, or use one of their recommended installers.

9. Hobson's Choice

Hobson's Choice New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ooops, my bad!! My car is a 2010 Prius, had it two years in August, and drive quite a bit, got about 44K on it right now... so definitely time for some new tires, these ones are quite worn!

Thanks for all the tire suggestions and confirming my suspicions regarding the dealers.

Cheers!!

10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Look at the tire wear.. if nothing abnormal you don't need an alignment. 44K is pretty much death row for OEM Avids. If not sure post pictures.

Here is info on fuel efficient tires When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green
    and the list F8L started: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...resistant-replacement-tires-current-list.html

11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also have dead tires (40K on em) - just called Costco - if your local one doesn't have them, they can order them. Cost is $92 + balance etc. Nice thing - free lifetime rotations...

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota uses several tires as OEM. Actually I think there's a thread here: owners posting what their's came with.

13. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought my 2010 V in July of 2009. In the past 22 months I have put over 51,000 miles on it and still have the factory installed Bridgestone Turanza 17" tires. I am guessing they have another 15 to 20,000 miles yet.

When I bought the car, the tire forums said this tire would be good for maybe 25,000 miles. I have made 3 major trips, with hours of driving at or above 80 MPH.

the problem with tire wear on the Prius is likely people reading the sticker on the door jamb and not looking at what the tire is rated for. The factory Bridgestones on my Prius are high pressure metric tires with a 51 PSI max. If I run them at the door sticker pressure, they would be about half flat ... have lousy gas mileage ... and wear out way too fast.

I run 46 PSI in the front and 44 PSI in the rear. They are safely under the maximum, they ride great, they handle great, they are quiet and smooth, ... and they will likely last 70,000 miles.

Discount tire no longer carries the Turanza tire but they have the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, which is a great all season, Z speed rated tire, and has a 50,000 mile coverage. Their price here in the Dallas metro, for four, out the door WITH the tire pressure moniterins system is less than $650

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is close to what Costco will charge me for a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 in that size. I'm chosing them over the Continental due the LRR rating. The DWS is a great tire though.

15. cap160

cap160 Older Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Costco is a good choice, they usually have rebates, and tire price includes Read Hazard, Rotation anytime, Nitrogen and air pressure checks anytime.

16. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What your saying is simply not true.

I run around 34 in mine, still have a good ride. Going to around 45psi does make it ride worse also causing extra wear on the Suspension. Also will lead to a little bit less traction. The only thing thats truly better with higher pressure is mpg, everything else is worse. Well i guess you will have less wear on the outsides of the tires when they are overinflated but more wear in the middle. I have 41,000 on my stock tires and will get atleast 15,000 more out of them without over inflating them. Toyota sets the pressure on the door jam. The tire maker sets the max allowed tire presure on the sidewall. All car makers say this is not what to use for their cars. I assume it is for safety reasons and comfort, not to make the tire wear out faster.

Over-inflated tires don't grip the road as well. While this may result in slightly better gas mileage, it also means less traction and poorer handling. Poor road conditions such as a wet or icy road magnify this problem, making it more likely that you'll have an accident if you're driving with over-inflated tires.

Blowouts

• Improper inflation, whether over-inflation or under-inflation, causes tires to overheat and increases the risk of blowout. A blown-out tire ruptures and can cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle. This could lead to a serious, even fatal accident.

Tire Wear

• When tires are over-inflated, the tread wears out faster in the center of the tire. You'll need to replace the tires sooner, an expensive penalty for driving with over-inflated tires.
      Over-inflated tires, being stiffer and more rigid, are also more susceptible to damage from hitting pot holes or striking curbs

Read more: What Are the Dangers of Over-Inflating Vehicle Tires? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_5784335_dangers-over_inflating-vehicle-tires_.html#ixzz1NbmLKJMH

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had good experience with Tire Rack also. Went with GoodYear ComforTred, very nice handling but not super duper MPG.

18. TheSeer

TheSeer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a couple of sets of tires for other vehicles from Costco and was very happy with the price and service. But then they hired some people who weren't trained / managed properly. When they rotated the tires they didn't check the pressure at all. I was driving a full size van at the time, and specs called for higher pressure in the rear and that's how I ran it. But always after they rotated them, the front tires had the higher pressure. So, you have to keep an eye on whats going on, as with any automotive service you have done.

19. trashcan

trashcan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hit 60K with OEM 15" AVIDs and just changed to 4 17" 225/45 AVIDs with MOMO rims and new sensors from discount tire direct for around $1300. depending on your driving conditions, I drive mostly on highways.

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Adamace, what youhave written contradicts what many of us have experienced in really life. The 3 sets of tires. I have ran overinflated did not wear faster in the center and handling was much improved. There is a reason people overinflate their tires when racing, especially autocross events.

Prius tires are fairly narrow and not as likely to exhibit center wear like an overinflated 315/40/17.

I have posted threads on the subject that show pictures of overinflated tires with even wear.