1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help with rear installation of Infinity 6010cs speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by xxfwmxx, Jul 18, 2007.

1. xxfwmxx

xxfwmxx New Member

I am installing my 6010cs's in the back doors in my 2006 Package 6 with JBL. I have the back right door disassembled and drilled the rivets out of the woofer, but the mounting brackets that came with the speakers dont line up at all with the car. How do you get these installed. I am so confused on this one.

2. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe you have to drill new holes for the brackets. Search for "Sparkys" speaker install directions

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can also use the universal mounting template, which looks something like this

BTW, do you have existing tweeter housings on the rear doors?
    If so, how did you fit the 6010 tweeters in there?

4. xxfwmxx

xxfwmxx New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J.Wilkie @ Jul 18 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]481152[/snapback]</div>

Thats what I thought too, I have been going by Sparkys guide but the brackets that come with the 6010cs' which say they enable it to fit a 6-3/4", but the whole in the door in the prius is still too big and I cannot figure a way to mount the speakers in there. I spoke with another member on the forum and he said he used the metal bracket that comes with the speaker and oem plastic mounting bracket and got it install. He didnt have the jbl system and I do and the oem bracket is different and I cannot figure out how to make it all fit together.
    Any help or insight is greatly appreciated as my door is off right now and everything is in peices cause I cant get it all put together.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 18 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]481160[/snapback]</div>

I do have tweeter housing in the rear doors but havent gotten that far yet to see how I am going to get the new ones in, I am still working on the woofers. There wasnt a universal mount included with the 6010cs' like the link you provided. I have seen numerous people on here that have installed these same speakers so there has to be some way to do it.

5. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xxfwmxx @ Jul 18 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]481166[/snapback]</div>
    I bought mine online at CarDomain.com. Search for Scosche SAT6 Custom-Fit Speaker Adapter.

I plan to use some modeling clay and #8 panhead screws to attach my JL woofer to the mounting template.
    Your 6010 woofer may require a different method, I don't know.

As for attaching the template to the door, I'll probably insert three #10 bolts from the inside out and use quick nuts to hold them in place so that I can screw the nuts in from the outside. That'll make it easier to remove the template (and speaker) later on if need be.

6. xxfwmxx

xxfwmxx New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 18 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]481212[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for that link. I think I am going to order a set of those adaptors and hope I can make them work. Anything is better than where I sit right now.

7. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just finished installing the woofer to the driver door The modeling clay worked beautifully.
    After drilling holes into the template, I spread a layer of clay all around its rim then hand-drove
    #6-3/8" screws to attach the speaker basket to the mount.

Since the templates only cost $10 a pair, you don't have much to lose for trying.

8. xxfwmxx

xxfwmxx New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 19 2007, 01:30 AM) [snapback]481433[/snapback]</div>

I ordered them last night and they have free UPS ground shipping so I will find out in a few days how well they will work for me. I guess for now I have to put my door back together. Thanks for your help.

9. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xxfwmxx @ Jul 19 2007, 07:34 AM) [snapback]481512[/snapback]</div>
    First time I ordered from BeachAudio. After waiting a week without any news, I finally called them and found out that my order had been back-ordered because they didn't have the items in the warehouse, but they didn't even bother to send me an email to let me know. So I told them to cancel the deal and started looking elsewhere. CarDomain shipped mine almost immediately and I received it in only a few days.

I did drive around for almost two weeks without a driver door panel. A bit inconvenient since I couldn't roll down the windows or anything like that. But I didn't feel like pulling the panel off too often. And I did use the time to put on some Damp, so everything turned out OK.

Let me know how your 6010s fit, because I have some 6010 tweeters that I'm thinking of swapping with the stock in the rear. I just haven't figured out how best to fit them yet.