1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP with Remote Start PLEASEEEE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by elite, Mar 15, 2007.

1. elite

elite New Member

any instructions on how to install a remote start on a prius 2007? please helpppp meee :((((

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen anything yet. i've been here since 04. hopefully someone else might have seen something.

why do you need remote start? so you can heat up the car?

3. elite

elite New Member

yep so i can warm up the car....heat it up, or cool it off, and i just thing its an awsome thing to have because i love hightech stuff :)

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Skip the remote starter. It's a waste of fuel. The best way to warm up a Prius is to drive it. If you live in a really cold area, then install a block heater.

Tom

5. evfan

evfan New Member

Does the heater for the Prius rely on antifreeze for heat (ie heater core)? Or is it all-electric w/ it's own heating element? I was thinking that it would be all-electric since the ICE isn't running all the time. If it is all-electric, then the idea of running the ICE to get the temperature up for the heater would be a moot point, right? No need for a remote starter because you would have heat instantly when you get in the car. Any thoughts on this?

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evfan @ Mar 16 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]406742[/snapback]</div>
    Nope; the Prius uses a heater core for heat. There are supposed small electric heaters that are there to provide heat before the ICE has warmed up, but I've never felt any heat from them (and it's a very small amount, if any). This makes sense to me: if you're generating extra heat (i.e. by running the ICE), why waste it? Why not use it to heat the car? Now, of course, this means that you can't have heat for the first several minutes that you're driving it, but as Tom pointed out, you can get an engine block heater if you live in a really cold climate.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evfan @ Mar 16 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]406742[/snapback]</div>
    Starts Electric than switches over. The romote start is a very expensive thingie for the prius in part because of it's smart fob needing to be near the car issue. I think i have only heard of one location in the u.s. that will do it ... for a BIG chunk of change. As previously posted, do the block heater & keep it simple.

8. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    you can get one for the camry hybrid (with smart key) for under $600 installed, either as a factory option or installed by your dealer. if they can do it for the camry, they should be able to do it for the Prius at some point.

I love remote start, but passed on spending 600 for one for my wife's hyCam.

rpm

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Mar 16 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]406857[/snapback]</div>
    the hycam has an extension of the CAN network designed for adding on accessories such as remote start. in this way, the remote start is actually on the CAN network and integrated into the car's systems.

the prius has no such extension, unfortunately.