1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with sick Prius p3100 p3125 c1259

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by capriusfan, Aug 14, 2013.

1. capriusfan

capriusfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2002 Prius that needs work. The red triangle, PS, and check engine light are all on. It has these codes:
    P3100 - 175 (HV ECU internal error. Motor Inverter Current Sensor Malfunction)
    p3125 - 287 (Motor Inverter Finv. Inverter Internal Short)
    c1259 (HV System Regenerative Malfunction)

I suspect the inverter or even worse the MG2 has burnt windings. A local prius repair "expert" thinks it is the inverter as well. I would like to get some opinions from the members here at Priuschat before I continue. I certainly do not want to go to a dealership (a.k.a. stealership) for their advice.

BTW the "infamous" inverter pump seems to be working. I can hear it and see the fluid in the reservoir move. I am at a total loss as the c1259, but I suspect it is more a symptom than a problem and will disappear when the real problem is fixed.

2. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    hmmm. the mg2 temp is not higher than the mg1 so thats a good sign. also you might wanna check with california state law on the warranty. correct me if im wrong but isnt the hybrid system covered up to 15 years 150ooo miles. or is that just the battery. i would see if someone at these garages has a good inverter laying around and see if they will let you hook it up to your prius and see if it works.

3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    replacing an mg2 is dooable at home. your dont have to completely drop the trans out. just get the trans down far enough(yes its still hooked to the engine) to get the cover off from the drivers side wheel well. and you can access mg2 from there, pull the old windings out and install your new one. i think new ones from toyota are 1k. i know there are guys that have done this in 8 hrs or less.

4. capriusfan

capriusfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out here in California, the warranty is 10 years 150k miles, so I am SOL.

Thanks, and although I know I can replace the MG2 myself, I just don't have any desire to.;) Hence, the sell it "as is" alternative.

5. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I've seen P3100/175 and P3125/287 the Toyota docs point to the inverter, but I'm sorry to say your tranny is toast. If you don't have P3009, it's probably not MG2 (use a meg ohm meter to confirm), it's likely something else inside the tranny.

You can try swapping a known good inverter, but you'll probably see the same codes.

If it was my car I would swap the entire tranny.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We can't use the ICE > MG1 > MG2 test because the car can not drive enough to generate the heat. I suspect a sample of the transmission oil will be more than enough to confirm the burnt MG2 hypothesis.

Swapping the transmission is a pain but more than a few have been done it over the years. It is a heavy part so care must be taken.

Bob Wilson

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

You might head over to the YahooGroup, "Prius Technical Stuff" as Cor has a bad engine, probably good transaxle, on a pallet in California . . . LA?
    Yahoo! Groups

You might join the group and see what can be worked out.

Bob Wilson

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Classic Prius warranty has expired by now. The hybrid system warranty is for 8 years, 100K miles regardless of US state. The transaxle is covered for 5 years/60K miles, again regardless of US state.

The reason the warranty terms are longer for 2G in CA (and some other states adopting CA emissions regs) is because 2G is certified as AT-PZEV compliant.

9. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi capriusfan,

For P3100 - 175, I suggest to monitor Motor Current V and W while creeping slowly at < 5 mph. Your screen shot for HV ECU show 0.00 A which is normal when not moving. If it is moving and still shows 0.00 A, you should check the MG2 current sensor. There is a similar problem to yours but it is the MG1 current sensor, pls refer to this thread.

Vincent

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your suspicion is right: the brake ECU has to coordinate with the HV ECU for regen braking to work, and C1259 is a generic code the brake ECU will log whenever the HV ECU tells it something's not right. To find out *what's* not right, you just have to look at the HV ECU codes, as you've been doing. Once that's fixed you can clear the C1259 in the brake box (or it will probably go away after a few ig cycles on its own).

-Chap

yotatoter likes this.
  11. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chap is correct, C1259 shows up as "collateral damage" when other codes are present. I usually ignore C1259 and fix the other codes, C1259 should go away on it's own.

yotatoter likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I remember that one because the failed part was sent to me. I could not find any overt evidence of a failure mode and eventually tossed it. Interesting development.

Bob Wilson

13. capriusfan

capriusfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the insight.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cannibalize a salvage inverter where something else broke?

-Chap

15. EV_Cor

EV_Cor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi capriusfan,
    I had a sick 2002 (bad knock in the engine as well as bad HV battery) and replaced both with good used ones. Since I could get a complete engine & transaxle assembly, I replaced the whole deal, so the bad engine with the good transaxle still attached is sitting in my garage, waiting until I get around to do a post-mortem on the engine and sell off any usable parts. I also have a complete inverter that came with the deal. If you want to get rid of the car, I have a colleague looking for a cheap Prius, some work on it is no problem.

16. capriusfan

capriusfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello EV_Cor
    I don't know if I am ready to sell yet, but I will let you know. Are you looking to sell your inverter?

17. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Capriusfan, if you must swap the inverter try and borrow a known good one somehow rather than buy one. Or buy one from a vendor that will let you return it...just in case.

In fact, I'll bet you a beer swapping the invertor won't solve your problem. BTDT.

18. EV_Cor

EV_Cor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi capriusfan,
    I found out that I was accidentally using an old account here on Prius chat (I was unaware that I had already registered once as "Cor" and thus that is the same person as EV_Cor.... As you might have noticed, I do have an inverter that I can sell (or borrow if you ship it back) and a complete transaxle that you can also buy or borrow - or if you just want to unload the complete car, I will have to convince my wife that it is a good idea, so I will need some pics of how it looks ;-)

19. engrx2

engrx2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I need to replace the HV ECU on 2002 Prius, but unable to find it. Can any one tell me where is the HV ECU located. Thanks

20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lift the carpet on the passenger side footwell and you should be able to find the hybrid vehicle ECU.