1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Stuck Fuel Door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ocpriusguy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. ocpriusguy

ocpriusguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my fuel door is stuck. It does not pop open when I lift the floor latch. I have used the clever trick to run my seat belt under the latch to keep it raised and then pressed on the left side of the door to persuade it open. Once the door is open, I can see that lifting the latch depresses the locking mechanism so I assume that its not the cable. (Is that a safe assumption?) I have replaced the fuel filler door opening lid hinge spring (Toyota Part 77360-33020) and lubricated the hinge with WD40 but still cannot get the latch to pop the door open. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Not sure what to do next. Thanks.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Gen 1 fuel door used to stick. I tried a lot of things including replacing the spring. What finally did it was just getting a good, light lube really into the hinges. The hinges aren't really built to be easily lubed, the gaps are too small for anything but a very light oil to get in. I happened to have a decades-old can of something called Tef-Lube I think I once bought at a bike shop.

I'd have expected your WD-40 to help, too. Maybe try it again, using the little straw and shooting right for the gaps in the hinges, and working them back and forth many times?

Up until I tried the Tef-Lube, my best trick was to get out of the car, bend my REI card and stick it in the gap around the corner of the filler door, then walk back up front and pull the release. After hearing the sproing and the card hitting the ground, I'd go back, pocket the card, and fill the tank.

After the Tef-Lube, never any more problems; the release would pop it open by inches every time.

-Chap

SFO likes this.
  3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    WD40 is more of a solvent than a lubricant. Try some white lithium grease. Clearance on the back side of the door is too tight. Either the door isn't flush with the rest of the car or it doesn't open fully and scratches the back side. I have to lube and bend the support bar every other year or so. Very annoying, but fixable.

4. ocpriusguy

ocpriusguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you both for your responses. I did actually use silicon spray (used WD40 as a generic term) but will try Tef Lube and bending the support bar. Hopefully that will help. Thanks again.

kenoarto likes this.
  5. Nance L Conover

Nance L Conover New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm having the same trouble with the gas tank door not opening when pulling the lever.
    Called my mechanics and its $252 min for them to look at and fix! So very grateful to find this chat!

Question - how does one put the Tef Lube or lithium grease on the hinges? There is nothing visible from outside the gas fill door - can it be lubed only after you got it open with the spray? Nance

6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes you will have to push it open.