1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with touch-up paint application

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by heliotropehead, Oct 30, 2004.

1. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I purchased a bottle of the touch-up paint from the local Toyota and applied it myself. I didn't use the brush, as I wanted a little more control over the application of the paint. I read online that after applying the paint, one should buff out the area where the paint was applied. How should I go about doing this? What should I use? I'm afraid of scratching the paint around the treated chips but at the same time it's obvious(at least to me) where the paint has been applied. The surface isn't as smooth as I want it to be. Should I use a fine grade of sandpaper?

Thanks!
    :)

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

touching up small rock chips in the paint is a pain, anyway you look at it. If the paint is still below the surface of the surrounding paint what you have to do is wait a week or so and then apply another layer of paint. This might take a period of a month as the paint needs time to dry between applications then when you have it slightly above the surrounding surface you need to get some rubbing compoud (sold at auto supply houses and WalMart) and apply small amount on a clean soft cloth and polish the surface rubbing in one direction only, your not trying to grind your way through the paint just polish it smooth. Most of the bottled touch up paints don't need a clear coat applied on top. Some do and will say so on the bottle. Good luck, it's a slow process.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Most importantly with touchup paint is to shake the bottle until you're tired, then shake it some more. Otherwise, it tends to bead up to a level that is above the surface of the surrounding paint.

5. heliotropehead

Thanks for the replies! I picked up some rubbing compound and 2000 grit sandpaper from the store. As soon as we have a dry day I'll have a go at a second coat.

:)

6. downeast

downeast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You might try this product along with the tough up paint

It will help smooth out the excess paint you use. Also it takes several applications of touch up paint and the product to fill deep scratches or stone chips. Timing is also important, you have to let the touch up paint dry enough before smoothing out with this product. It will work along with some patience.
    http://www.langka.com/

7. heliotropehead

I'm not entirely happy with the results, but it looks better than it did without the touch up paint. :|

8. mechanic

mechanic New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i think you should actually use clearcoat over the touchup... after applying the touchup paint, use a credit card to smooth the paint over.