1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Toyota Care Plus Service Item

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dan92708, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dan92708

Dan92708 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, I was trying to post a new topic but I failed. Can I ask you guys who know about 2016 Prius?

Hello, i have the Prius V 2016 with Toyota Care Plus which I paid extra $1970. I admitted that I did not do homework when I bought this extended guarantee. About 6 months ago; the screen showed The hybrid cooling fan need to be cleaned. The dealer charged me $120.00. I was under impression that I have 3 year Toyota Care which covers this service. This cleaning service should be performed every 5000 miles per Toyota memo dated January 2017. In short; every 5000 miles we have to pay for this cleaning service even though we have 3 year Toyota Care.

Please help and guide me

Thank You
    Dan

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This should be DIY doable, and will cost you nothing. And once you manage it yourself you'll see: it's not that hard, and 5000 miles is WAY too frequent.

I'd expect you'll settle on DIY every 2~3 years, if that.

3. Dan92708

Dan92708 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks very much Mendel Leisk. I thought it is very hard to do because I was waiting 5 hours 45 minutes to get it done with my first appointment at 7 am.

Thanks again. Greatly appreciate your advice

Dan

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've done fan cleaning on my 2010 hatchback 2~3 times now. I'm reluctant to say anything about step-by-step, but basically, I needed to remove one 12mm (socket size) bolt that's reachable between the rear seat and back with 9" of ratchet extension, pry off the rear hatch floor over the hybrid battery (has a lot of stubborn fasteners), another bolt or two, peal back some carpet off velcro, remove the seatback corner piece with the grill, and some plastic conduit running to the fan. I was able to clean the fan without completely removing it, just uncovering it, getting to it is enough.

5. Dan92708

Dan92708 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks again Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk likes this.