1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Isaiah54

Isaiah54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I am all set to pick up my first hybrid tomorow. An 07 prius with 37k miles. I was going to buy an 06 with around the same miles but decided to go with the the 07 at the last minute. I did a quick google search of the car and was surprised to see that apparently it was involved in several recalls. One is for the water pump and another for the accelerator sticking. I read somewhere that you may need to get the floor of the car modified. The guy I bought it from doesnt seem to know much about the car. Can someone please set me straight on these recalls and give me some advice on what to do with the car? Do I need to take it to a dealer and ask them? Sorry if the answer to these questions are blatantly obvious to you all. please bear with me.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Accelerator sticking recall will have the dealer make sure you have not modified your floor mats, and shaving off a part of the lower gas pedal.

If the car is involved, the water pump will be replaced, only very early 07s are involved.

If you have the VIN, you should be able to look up the service history at Toyota Dealers. Service History Online - Toyota Owners

3. Isaiah54

Isaiah54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    toyotas website said there were no safety recalls or special service campaigns for this vehicle. I can relax now! thanks

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are getting one great car! You will like it, be happy! Hal

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Only two recalls on the 2007. The inverter water pump is the more important one, the new pump is an improved design. The original design had failed for several owners at approx 100k. The accel pedal recall is not that big of a deal IMO. I did not bother to have the accel pedal modified, I just make sure to use the hooks to restrain the floor mat.

6. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The accelerator recall was caused by all the media attention resulting from some serious accidents possibly caused by floormats bunching up under the pedal. In my '06 there is ample clearance (about 2 inches) between the anchored all weather mat supplied by Toyota and the pedal. For that reason, I have ignored all the notices and warnings by the service advisors about the dire consequences that might occur if I don't let them trim the pedal.
    The pump recall involved my car, and I had that done immediately. As someone mentioned, the vin will tell a dealer whether any recall campaigns apply or have been corrected. Good luck with your Prius.

7. Isaiah54

Isaiah54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I heard that the accel. sticking issue was exaggerated horribly in the media. Doesnt really surprise me but I sort of panicked when I first heard this car may have been affected, lol, chalk it up to car buying jitters. Anyway, I am really enjoying the car so far, Thanks to everyone who responded!

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As an FYI for the OP, the inverter pump "recall" was covered by http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ump-dealer-letter-technical-instructions.html.

As for the accelerator pedal shaping, mine was done for me w/o advising me nor asking. I took it into a dealer for service and they told me that they re-shaped the bottom, after the fact... They did a good job w/it though and it doesn't bother me. I'd seen some complaints here on Priuschat that some had theirs reshaped very crudely...

I was given the option to have the dealer order and install a new pedal assembly for free, if I wasn't satisfied w/the modification.

No Prius pedals ever had a sticking problem as Priuses are made in Japan and didn't have the potentially sticky CTS pedals that went into North American assembled Toyotas. If one's curious about the CTS pedal recall vs. Denso pedals that went into Japanese made Toyotas, see http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/denso-and-cts-gas-pedals-compared/.

The recalls covered the pedal shaping and floor mat replacement...

As an FYI, the Gen 2 Prius has 4 coolant pumps. See http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/88743-2-water-pumps.html#post1245630.

9. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes the media picks on whoever is number one, whether that be Toyota, Nike, Herman Cain or Newt Gingrich.

the bigger they are the easier it is to target them and the bigger the story will be. there would not have been a national media craze if this had happened to mazda or bmw.

10. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome To PriusChat .

I remember the excitement waiting for my 2007 Prius to come in. Every since than I remain excited with all the features of this wonderful car. But Best Of All The Gas Savings, I have been getting 56 MPG for the last 4 years.

I hope you enjoy your new baby as much as I do mine.