1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Helped needed..how do I remove a trim panel?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by simple_in_seattle, Jun 1, 2006.

1. simple_in_seattle

simple_in_seattle New Member

I need to know how to remove the trim panel that surrounds the driver's side seatbelt tensioner. The one that sits just to the left of the drivers seat. I'm getting a rattle/buzz there periodically as I drive down the road. Since its right next to my ear, its driving me nuts.

I took it to the dealer today...did the ride along to "reproduce the problem". They took it back and supposedly applied double sided tape. However, I made it 100 yards out of the dealership and still heard the problem.

Any pictures, diagrams would be helpful. Thanks in advance for helping me maintain my sanity. Rattles in a prius are brutal because the car is so damn quiet on the road.

2. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(simple_in_seattle @ Jun 1 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]264182[/snapback]</div>

No pics but pretty easy-I did it last weekend installing subwoofer and I'm no body guy.

Grab the trim piece that runs along the front door bottom from the interior edge with fingers of both hands and pull it up-it should come right up. Do the same for the rear passenger side lower trim. Then, in the same manner, pull at one or the other side of the upper half of the side trim panel and surrounds the tensioner-it should pop off at the upper end. Then pop off the bottom of that side. Repeat on the opposite side and its off!. When replacing this vertical piece, you will notice two tabs on either side in the middle area. When reinstalling, work on one side first, sliding those tabs behind the rubber trim gasket, then push the top and bottom back into place. You may need a screwdriver to push the tabs back a bit to slide them under the gasket. On the opposite side, you will definitely need a screwdriver to push them under. Then just snap the two floor trim pieces back into place following the plastic guides and you are in business.

I found you can be rough with these pieces and they can take the abuse, though you want to be a little more gentle with those side tabs.

You might drive around a bit with the panels off to find the source of the rattle.

Good luck!