1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Helping Drivers Cut Fuel Use

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by skruse, Feb 9, 2011.

1. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UC-Riverside's College of Engineering Center for Environmental Research and Technology (CE-CERT) is researching Eco driving. They capture all the relative inputs and developed a robust algorithm which effectively modled and predicted vehicle fuel consumption and emissions across a wide range of operating conditions.

They note eco-driving technology is already in vehicles like the Prius and Honda Insight. But, unlike those products, the "new" device isn't tied to the years-long manufacturing cycle, because it is a mobile, after-market unit that can be reprogrammed remotely and adjusted to the latest technology developments.

Helping drivers cut fuel use

1 person likes this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If vehicle manufactures are not going to readily install such software and gauges in all of their vehicles then products like this that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle are great. I also like that the product can be reprogrammed to adapt to new technologies as they become available.

Thanks for posting. :)

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nissan starting putting on instantaneous mpg indicators (in the form of a horizontal bar) on many of their cars a few years ago. My mom's 07 NAH has it, but AFAIK, it's not limited to hybrids. I wish I could find the article about it.

Although this is a decent step in the right direction, it would help if people actually at least kept their tires inflated properly, that they cared about getting better fuel economy in the first place or not using a drive thru when driving a guzzler (it blows my mind when I see Expeditions and Tahoes idling in line :mad:). One big way to get better fuel economy is to not buy a guzzler in the first place.

It still blows my mind (but doesn't surprise me) that some Americans still want to buy monstrosity class SUVs. Over at used SUV suggestions - MY350Z.COM Forums, I've been trying to talk that guy out of what he's considering:
    [​IMG]:argue:
    Good grief! :(