1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Helping Hummer: GM tries to improve brand's fuel economy

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jun 19, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...18001/1530/FREE

The article talks a lot about other things, but it also mentions "For the 2009 model year, the H2 will be configured to run on E85, a blend of ethanol and gasoline. A year later, the H3 adds E85 capability. And in model year 2011..."

Once it starts counting under GM's CAFE #s, I wonder what it'll count as w/the flex fuel scam....err incentive.

Since the article mentions "But the world is changing, especially when it comes to fuel economy. The H2 currently is exempt from CAFE regulations because its gross vehicle weight exceeds 8,500 pounds. But in the 2011 model year, the exemption for big trucks is scheduled to rise to 10,000 pounds." I guess that means GM will probably come out w/an even BIGGER and HEAVIER SUV w/a GVWR of >10K pounds in order to not have it count against their CAFE #s.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When EPA mileage tests take aerodyanimcs into account, I suspect the Hummer will have yet another challenge to overcome.

Also, I'm a bit unsure how hybrid technology compromises off road capability...isn't the military experimenting with it?

3. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 20 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]465387[/snapback]</div>
    I'm no mechanical engineer, but I do know that an electric motor generates a great deal of torque, which is exactly what most off-road vehicles need. Then again, most of the folks buying Hummers, or any SUV for that matter, aren't taking them off road at all.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 20 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]465387[/snapback]</div>
    I think that it has to do with heat dissipation or some such. basically I think pushing the EV components hard at low speeds results in their overheating. On the other hand, I could be completely off the mark. I seem to remember hearing that a while back, however.