1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

here is another not too good prius review

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by syncmaster, Nov 7, 2005.

1. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  2. Trojan

Trojan New Member

:lol:

Another review that looks solely at gas savings and completely ignores safety, reliability, and resale value. Nice.

3. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But the MPG they are claiming:
    FUEL MILEAGE (QUARTER/YEAR): 35.41 mpg/41.20 mpg

You would have to do short 10 min trips and drive like a race car to get that bad MPG.

Or take long trips and drive 95MPH most of the time.

4. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL, they do get free gas I suspect.

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are used to driving performance and luxury vehicles, so I'm sure that is how they drove the Prius.
    I would guess these reviewers are neutral at best on the environment. If you were not concerned about fossil fuel usage, pollution, and the environment in general, would the Prius be your vehicle of choice?

6. dipper

dipper Senior Member

And how much is the Ford Focus value at now? I think I can count with my fingers and toes.

7. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Clearly these people are retards. I'm getting close to 50 MPG in mine. I have a 10 minute commute (5 miles) in hilly terrain (Northwest metro denver area). I have not jacked up the tyre pressure. They must really suck if they're getting 41 MPG.

8. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with everyone!

They obviously don't know how to drive it or don't care to adjust their driving to suit the Prius. From day 1, I've been averaging 50 mpg. Occasionally a bit lower and sometimes a bit higher. I think my running average is actually 49.75 or something like that.

And how can they compare to the Ford Focus? With a fully loaded hatchback model, it's close to $19k and still doesn't have half the technology of the Prius. And it only gets 26-32mpg - half of the Prius.

In addition, the Prius has a great resale value - as seen by their trade in. It only cost them $2500 to have it that one year. Show me any other car you can put 16,000 miles on and only have it drop $2500 in value!

I hate articles like this, because there are people out there that will read it and take it for a fact.

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    As for the MPG, much, if not most of the 16K miles was likely short-hop errand-running, including, likely, different staffers taking it home and back to work. They only reported on doing one "real" longer-distance test, in an early quarter.

They get too many "sexy" cars with which to compare Prius "deficiencies" (as also seen by lots of other potential drivers, it must be admitted): raw power and acceleration off the line, looks, "prestige", cornering.

As stated, many of them got tired of it, as happens with many drivers and their cars. The novelty wore off. Likely this happens with many of the cars they put 16K miles on.

It's OK. They said nothing that wasn't "true", even if it's not what we like to hear.

10. popoff

popoff New Member

"Then, at 15,000 miles, we had scheduled maintenance performed, which included an oil change and tire rotation, for $201.11."

Suckers!

11. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I know that the first time I drove a prius on varied roads and conditions I averaged 47 MPG on a car with only 500 miles, my parents never did anything special and average about 46 mpg for the life time of the car (only about 5000 miles). I see these reviews all the time and have to wonder what the hell they do to get mileage this bad.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would have not expected anything different from a mag that has touted performance and speed for sooo many years... group them with the likes of gm in their refusal to wake up and smell the burning building in which they reside

13. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fossil Fuel usage, the Environment and pollution were not on my list at all when looking for a new car. It was purely a fuel efficiency goal. Now that I have it though, I love it for all 3 of those reasons, plus my great fuel efficiency. I don't think I'd buy another gasonline only auto.

14. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wish they would read this post - they would feel like "retards" for sure. I wonder what they were doin to get that horrible mileage! HAHA Oh well...

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Most likely Toyota didn't spring for enough advertising in Auto Week.

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I could be wrong.. but I almost caught in the tone of their verbage that they intentionally tried to see how "bad" of a mileage they could get.... pure joy riding and punching it to the max... what do they care?.. they didn't pay for it...
    I expect they drive all thier cars that way...I doubt they have anything personal against the prius.... They just love to play race cars!
    I would say thier mileage is probrably pretty impressive considering how they drive!... the insight even had sucky mileage!..they are either doing as I say... or they are pulling a boat around?

17. Panther87

Panther87 Junior Member

Perhaps they forget to take the parking brakes off.

18. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ha!.. maybe so!... I think what I said above along with the short "Big Mac" runs may be the culprit?

19. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, the Prius was my vehicle of choice and No, none of those 3 concerns even made the list of reasons I bought it.........

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What were your reasons for buying the Prius?