1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

here is info on adding batteries and pluging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by syncmaster, Oct 9, 2005.

1. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    a magazine called home power in the internet is offering a free down load of this months issue. It is mostly solar power stuff but there is also a story about converting the prius. I am going to try a link, if it dosen't work just search google for "home power" Then click "down load sample issue"

Here is the link:
    http://www.homepower.com/files/sampleissue/Issue108.pdf

Note: the story is on page 44 thru 48

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the link, Syncmaster. I think Toyota's right in not offering a plug-in option for the Prius, since you don't know where that plug-in power is coming from. One of the goals of the Prius is to reduce air pollution. A gasoline powered Prius is a whole lot cleaner than a remote coal-fired power plant.

I want to use my Silver Cloud as an alternative source of electrical power for emergencies. I'd love to be able to tap the HV battery and let the car's smarts keep it charged when we have grid outages. Replicating the generator/battery system at home, when I already drive one, seems stupid. Having to go out and start a generator to get the well to work and the pump to the boiler to work also seems stupid.

Thanks again for the link.

3. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

While sympathy is there for Mr Bill., most larger scale power plants both coal fired, gas fired and oil, or the nukes., nowadays compared to individual cars COLLECTIVELY do not polute in the same leagues as a single car exhaust would. The PHEV concept is sound, lower demands in the evening hours would balance grid demands, and not appreciably cause any additional pollution. The key to realize that power plant generated electricity is comparable to mass transit, it becomes more efficient to make and use and cause less individual pollution then the individual users. In the U.S. especially COAL reserves are great, and many plants use this fuel, and CONTRARY to opinion, TODAY many COAL plants burn cleaner then oil, or gas and never mind nuclear. So I disagree with Bill M. on this, I think this IS a GREAT + WONDERFUL PROGRESSION for the entire Hybrid movement. The fact you can almost reduce gasoline consumption by 75%, in most cases and incur a slight increase in KWH use in LOW DEMAND times, and still provide a cost effective fuel to the consumer seems like a real WINNER to me.

4. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

A second note on COAL plants..EPA and State regulations, have reduced any pollution from these plants to NIL. In fact if you look at the technology and systems in the COAL industry has you will find that many pollution controls systemsand great progress has been made in this area with these plants in this country. If you were to compare the pollution created by PRIUS cars for the SAME or EQUAL energy amount produced from a COAL plant, the COAL plant would pollute less. What I am saying is that COLLECTIVELY, if a million cars (PRI's) were needed to get equal energy as produced from the coal plant, the coal plant would pollute less to make that SAME amount of energy, do the math.