1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here is Verizon's official answer...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DocVijay, Dec 7, 2005.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

So I wrote Verizon and asked them flat out why they don't allow OBEX. Well, they sorta answered the question. They said they don't have any phones that meet my needs, but I could peruse their catalog to pick a phone. I guess it slipped their attention that we have FOUR phones from Verizon, and don't want to change. Other than the Bluetooth issue, I am very happy with Verizon. Anyway, here is the response:

"Dear Bjorn,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to
    assist you with your Bluetooth question.

More Bluetooth technology may become available in the future, if you
    would like to receive free e-mail updates regarding new products and
    services, please click on the following link:

www.verizonwireless.com/emailupdates

Currently, Verizon Wireless does not offer the OBEX profile requested.
    I am unable to provide information regarding which equipment is being
    considered or approximate release dates, as this may raise expectations
    that may not be met.

Although we do not have the handset you are looking for at this time, I
    invite you to view our current phone selection as a possible
    alternative.
    To view available equipment, please click on the following link,
    which will direct you the "Products" page of our website:

www.verizonwireless.com/products

You may also receive free e-mail updates as to when new products and
    services are available. To receive your free e-mail update please click
    on the following link, to view the "E-mail Updates" page of our

www.verizonwireless.com/emailupdates

There are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and
    reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product
    or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come
    to expect. Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services,
    features, and wireless phones we offer to our customers for their
    communication needs.

If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again
    through www.VerizonWireless.com. We appreciate your business and thank
    you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Jennifer
    Verizon Wireless
    Data Technical Support

"We never stop working for you!"

2. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Heh. They sure take a long time to say a whole lot of nothin', don't they? :rolleyes:

I find it's interesting that they "imply" it's a phone problem, when it isn't "I am unable to provide information regarding which equipment is being considered..."

Oh well, we have PCs and PDAs to get that phone book in there... :)

"We never stop working for you!"

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Translated we have been there and done that and got sued for it and are now paying the v710 folks off in a class action law suit. And I am part of it and I am glad! They lied to me when I got my phone period. I am lucky that I have choices where I live, so I will dump them and go to someone else. Saddly in some parts of the country Verizon is the only realistic option if you want good coverage. Hopfully that will change

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

That's for sure. I was reading it and was wondering when I was going to get to an answer. By the time I got to the bottom, I had forgotten what I was looking for... :blink:

5. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Well... you know if they actually leveled with you and told you the truth about why OBEX is disabled...

it would be basically because they are trying to restrict your usage of the phone... they want to control what you do or do not do with your phone, forcing you to pay way too much money for ring tones for example.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

The funny thing though is that with my Treo, I can just use my SD card to move any ringtones, etc to my phone. I got a 1 gig SD card, so I can even use mp3's as ringtones if I want. The only thing that I can't do is move the phone book to the Prius, that's all. Every other feature I can do anyway. I take pictures, take the SD card and plug it into the card reader on my laptop or my desktop and I have pictures. I can likewise download or rip an mp3 and then load it into my phone via the SD card. So for my phone I really don't see any point in crippling the feature...

Even my wife's V710 has a slot for the new transSD card (basically a very small SD card), so mp3's and pictures can be up/downloaded, although not quite so easily as it's a phone only. The Palm OS makes it a bit easier on my Treo.

Ah, whatever. I'll just use the laptop workaround to upload my phone book, as it has built in Bluetooth.

7. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And it's not the phone. Verizon cripples the phones that they provide on purpose because they A) think their customers [are idiots and] will never use the features and B) they don't want to support anything they don't understand.

In my opinion, Verizon is the WORST mobile telephony company to do business with.

And other better mobile phone networks to use, like Cingular and Tmobile that allow more than just voice communications!
    Yes, I realize that Verizon has sms and data services, but they are a complete hack; something that they produced LONG after everyone else was doing it.

"We never stop working for you!" - becuse we never started.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    AAAmen!

9. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Hmmmm... I may have worded it poorly, but we actually said the same thing. What I was saying is their quote made it look like they were trying to blame the phone (let's see what new devices come out down the road), when in fact THEY are the reason the devices don't work (as you said).

Hey, wait a minute, looking back, I did word it correctly, why did you correct me...? (I said "they "imply" it's a phone problem, when it isn't")

10. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have Verizon service with a Motorola e815, and find that I can accomplish most of the things that V seems to be discouraging, by one means or other, w/o "hacking" the phone.

Using the TransFlash card, I can upload/download photos, video clips, music, or ringtones to the phone.

To get a ringtone to work it must reside in the phone's memory and not on the TransFlash, and to get it to memory one must send it as an attachment in a message to a number like 222-222-2222, then open the message (after failure) and save the file to the phone memory. Or you can pay $0.25 and email the file to your phone. 3 can be sent in one msg if they are not too long. The cell-phone web sites (such as howardforums) have a lot of useful info, and ring tones can be found for free on the web.

Using my Powerbook I can transfer my phone book to the Prius. This is not much of a hardship, since it is nice to set up the phone's phone book on a computer anyhow, and useful to have it live on the computer as a backup. You probably want a special set of 17 numbers for the Prius anyhow (I did). I find the handsfree system to be very effective.

It may be possible to use the phone as a bluetooth modem, but I have not explored that.

The one thing I don't understand is, if V simply wants you to pay for transferring photos via pix messages, why do they allow the TransFlash transfer? And, since they allow card i/o, why do they disable bluetooth file transfers? Is it possible they actually _are_ concerned about BT security, that is, about a stranger in a bar pulling down your whole phone book? (Nah ...)

Finally - does anyone know if the 2006 Prius offers a different way of loading the phone book?

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. I think they do it because most people are not as industrious. They find out Bluetooth is disables, so they just shrug their shoulders and download from Verizon's service. Or actually, most people don't even know what Bluetooth is, and so it never even bothers them. Several of the other doctors in my wifes group were all amazed at the Bluetooth earpiece I got her for her V710. They all wanted one, but none of them knew if their phones had Bluetooth or not. Only one other guy, who happened to have a Treo 650 and was a bit more tech savvy knew and ended up getting one.

So Verizon diables it probably because most people won't be bothered by it, and wouldn't even begin to know how to circumvent it. It's much easier to just push some buttons, pay $1.99 and get your ringtone.

Anyway, no matter. I'm not going to cancel with Verizon just for this. I'd be much happier if they didn't disable it, but that's life. Anyway, unless Toyota fixed the half-duplex problem with the built-in, I probably won't be using it too much. I'm so used to using my Bluetooth earpiece already.

12. tag

tag Senior Member

Wait until you guys get a load of this: :lol:

Verizon Wireless tops in Consumer Reports' annual survey
    By Kelly Hill
    Dec 6, 2005

YONKERS, N.Y.-Wireless carriers struck out for a fourth straight year in the annual survey of cellular service and phones conducted by independent evaluator Consumer Reports. Cingular Wireless L.L.C. acquisition of AT&T Wireless Services Inc. came under particularly harsh criticism because of problems reported by former AWS customers.

Only 47 percent of the 50,515 survey respondents in 18 metropolitan areas reported being either satisfied or very satisfied with their cell phone service. The magazine gave cellular phone service a score of 67, essentially the same as last year's score of 66. A score of 100 would mean that all participants were completely satisfied; 80 would mean an average customer was very satisfied, and 60 would reflect somewhat satisfied customers. Typical complaints included static, blocked called and lack of service.

"Despite fierce competition among carriers and cell towers seemingly sprouting up overnight in many places, cell phone service isn't getting any better," the magazine reported.

Verizon Wireless kept its top survey ranking for most metropolitan markets and was Consumer Report's pick as the best national carrier. T-Mobile USA Inc. took second, followed by Sprint Nextel Corp.; Cingular trailed behind. For the first time, regional carriers U.S. Cellular Corp. and Alltel Corp. made the list with U.S. Cellular performing well in Chicago and Alltel performing well in Phoenix.

Sprint Corp. acquired Nextel Communications Inc. shortly before Consumer Reports' survey went out, so they were evaluated as separate carriers in this year's survey. Sprint earned middling marks and Nextel received low customer satisfaction scores in the survey.

Consumer Reports noted that more than half of the Cingular customers who participated in the survey were former AWS customers, and customers who kept their old AWS phones were far less satisfied with their service than those who bought new Cingular phones.

In addition to carrier rankings, Consumer Reports also asked customers to rate handsets. Motorola Inc.'s E815 was rated top for Verizon Wireless' network. The PalmOne Inc. Treo 650 headed up the list of Sprint Nextel phones, and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.'s e335 garnered the highest ranking of GSM phones.

LINK: http://www.rcrnews.com/news.cms?newsId=25008

13. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Well, let's face it -- we as Prius owners are pissed at Verizon, but in general, they have great coverage, and handle customer interaction better than 'average'.

The only thing I don't like about them at the moment is what they did to the phone book transfer to my Prius.

I never have an issue with coverage, dropped calls, or their response to my calls. But I would like to kick them in the butt over the Bluetooth transfer issue... ;)

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, I will say this. When it comes to service coverage, Verizon beats ALL other hands down. My parents had Sprint, and they could not use their phones at their house or at ours. I finally ended up adding them to our account and getting them new phones. Now they can make calls from anywhere.

Also, my wife's group has been having a problem with their cell phone service. They've switched from Sprint to Nextel, and both have coverage problems inside the hospitals. If they are inside they rarely get enough signal to get or place calls. My wife's Verizon V710 works fine anywhere in the hospital. We've even spoken as she used an elevator without a single hint of signal loss.

I've used Sprint, Voicestream, and T-mobile, and Verison beats them all.

15. tag

tag Senior Member

Yeah, that is indeed a whacky issue. What is even nuttier is the fact that some of their PDA/phones have uncrippled Bluetooth and, now, they have allowed the Nokia 6256i to be released with OPP! So, the 6256i is fully functional with the Prius (Denso BT kit), including phonebook transfer. But VZW has decided not to sell it directly at this point; it's only available via indirect channels, like Best Buy and Radio Shack.

It will be interesting to see what develops after people start receiving their CDMA RAZRs (V3c), which should be within the next day or so. There have been some early reports that VZW didn't mess around with OBEX on the V3c.

16. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is also from the same country that elected this guy:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.stopthemonkey.org/archives/Bush Bird copy.jpg

There are ways to transfer music, ringtones, pictures, etc... using bluetooth on some Verizon phones.
    Most LG, Samsung, Sanyo and Audiovox CDMA phones can use BitPim to transfer data via a serial 'file system' interface.

17. tag

tag Senior Member

From the John Kerry for President Volunteer Center:

Phone Party
    WHEN: October 30 @ 1:00 PM

WHERE: Lee and Rays House
    San Diego, CA 92110
    Bay Park- VERIZON PHONES ONLY

HOST: Lee and Ray Murphy

INFO: Afternoon Phone Party
    Bring snacks or drinks to share (no alcohol)
    Coffee and tea provided.
    ONLY VERIZON PHONES WORK AT THIS LOCATION

:lol: :lol:

18. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, if you say so, but as far as the survey goes, I agree. Except for the Bluetooth issue Verizon is THE BEST cell phone provider as far as I'm concerned. Sprint has horrible signals and even worse customer service. T-mobile had much better customer service, but he signal left much to be desired. Never had a problem with Verizon.

The main function of my phone is to make phone calls. That it does spectacularly. I never have issues with signal strength, dropped calls, etc. Customer service has always been great. As it stands, even with the Bluetooth issue, I'd give Verizon a 97%. If they fixed the Bluetooth functionality, they'd get the full 100%.

I don't know why people get so upset over the impaired Bluetooth. THe phone still works as a cell phone should. And in real life, most people will NEVER use Bluetooth for anything more than to use a wireless earpiece. As I said, I'm not happy my Treo doesn't have full BT functionality, but in every other respect it works great. BT will NOT break the deal.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to agree that Verizon has good coverage. In some places like Montana it is the only choice and part of the reason that I went to Verizon was Consumer Reports. I was happy enough with them until I got the v710 the sales person and the people at the corporate 1-800 assured me that the problems with Bluetooth incapability with my car was being fixed and would be available by the end of September. Motorola confirmed that they had the fix done and were testing it. So I kept the phone past the point I could return it. Then it was pushed back to October, November, December then the waffling started. First we did not add the OBEX to protect users from viruses. They nearly a year later the update flash for the phone comes and you can no longer transfer photos using the flash card. Now the tune is that OBEX and transfer of photos "is not consistent with our business model" The truth comes out. I would have been OK with Verizon and not bought the phone if they told me it would not work as other Bluetooth phones. I would have still moved to another provider but I would have had the information I needed to make a choice. I think the Verizon does not want my business. It took months of phone calls to them and Motorola to get the truth out of them. They never intended to make the phone fully compatible, and given their present releases they have no plans to. They want to disable the phone so they can collect revenue from games, ring tones, and photos. All things I don't need or want. Synchronizing my address book and phone book is. I can get buy in my area with Cingular where they have adequate coverage in my area and most big cities that I visit.

20. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Until more phones support the full range of Bluetooth services, we are not seeing the full potential for the technology. Innovation is stifled because of the lack of devices out there.

USB first started out with only a handful of devices... some mice and keyboards for example. Imagine where we would be with USB if someone like Dell decided that USB was only good for mice and restricted the USB to only support mice because 90% of the people at the time only used it for that purpose.

I personally have a Sony Ericsson phone with a full bluetooth stack. For about 4 years now, I've been able (with some 3rd party software) to use my cell phone as a bluetooth remote control for my Mac.
    I use my phone for presentations instead of buying a 3rd party IR clicker. I use it to navigate through my music or as a DVD player remote from across the room. And coolest of all, my computer pauses my music, my DVD player, and acts as a caller-ID when my phone rings. When i finish the call, it picks up right where it left off. When I leave my apartment, the computer is smart enough to detect that my bluetooth phone is no longer in range and locks itself.

http://www.salling.com/Clicker/windows/

I show these features to people, and it is still very amazing to people, even though Bluetooth has been on the market in phones for many years. People don't think of the possibility of doing useful stuff like this because the phones from certain carriers don't support features that would make it possible.

I am convinced that stuff like Salling clicker is Bluetooth's killer app, and I would be thrilled if everyone started using it like I do... but the carrier's greed is a pretty big hurdle.