1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here You Go Guys - Enjoy Hybrid "Debate" in the UK

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Bonefish Blues, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't tax (or the lack of) based on carbon emission?

The higher the MPG, the lower carbon emission. Diesel has about 15% more carbon per gallon than gas/petro.

3. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Higher mpg has lower carbon emission per mile, it doesn't mean lower carbon mission per person. I know some SUV drivers are much "greener" than some Prius drivers. mpg is nothing but a ratio that measure efficiency. I also would think that a city bus that get 4 mpg carrying 55 people is better for the environment than 55 people driving 55 Prii.

massparanoia likes this.
  4. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it is - for both private and company vehicles.

There are issues with diesel cars in the UK as EC emissions regulations are getting tighter and tighter. This means that they all now have particle collectors fitted which periodically heat up and burnt the particulates off.

Trouble is Mrs Miggins is now so conditioned to "diesel good, petrol bad" that she and Mr M buy a diesel and find out that the regen function doesn't work on their (mainly town) journeys and they have to go back to the dealer for an expensive de-coke.

Similar in US?

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see your point.

Prius can carry 5 people. So, 11 Priuses are better for the environment than that bus. ;)

3PriusMike likes this.
  6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I am ashamed to say it but our current incentive is based on neither emission nor efficiency.

It is purely based on the battery size but only between 4-16 kWh in size. Manufacturing emission of the battery doesn't matter. A dirty gas engine mated to the big battery (Fisker Karma) doesn't matter. There is so many loopholes to mention.

The previous incentive was based on MPG so both hybrids and Diesel qualified. I hope they bring back that model.....

7. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

LOL...seriously? When was the last time you saw 5 people sitting in a Prius sharing a ride going to work? I've seen a whole family sitting in a Prius with kids. But never saw a Prius being full on weekdays during rush hour. The way it looks, people buy Prii because they want to save money on gas so they don't have to share rides.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius is very popular here because we are not favoring diesel like EU/UK does, and Prius saves much money on fuel especially if you are doing >15000 miles per year (x1.6 for kM). Also we have high price on diesel fuel because we don't give tax preferences to diesel fuel like EU/UK does. If we had as many diesels as EU we'd be known as United States of particulates and NOx. I am under the impression Prius catching on more in EU as the diesel preference is fading a little.

9. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Interestingly, diesel is now priced higher than petrol in most of the EU. This has been driven by the rush to diesel outstripping refinery capacity we're led to believe.

Prius itself is pretty much mainstream and doesn't attract a second glance. I do sense now that the diesel rush is starting to turn, especially as they are developing something of a reputation for unreliability and high costs to fix.

10. Phausto

Phausto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    re: jnet: I ride a bicycle and count heads in cars as I go to work in downtown Seattle. I probably see around 500 cars per trip, and would estimate that fewer than 5% are carrying more than one person. I bought a Prius to use less gas, and ours is rarely carrying fewer than 3 people, but usually 4 or 5. We do make a point to car pool--and not simply to save money. We've averaged 105mpg over the first 11K miles, so while it's absurd to use a fleet of cars rather than a bus, it might just pencil out fuel-wise.

re: diesel: we rented a small diesel Ford in Europe this summer and I couldn't wait to get home to the Prius. Ok, the Prius is anything but fast, but the diesel was no quicker and came with the attendant narrow power band, smoke, noise, and smell. Don't get me wrong, I've driven big delivery trucks and love diesels in that capacity. But for my own car operating out of my garage (underneath my son's room), the electron is perfect.

11. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only ever had one diesel car. I recently moved a colleague's Golf 2.0 tdi and was genuinely shocked at the racket it made.

12. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Always take 'em on with logic, reason and unfailing politeness :sneaky:

14. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From "Piston Heads". Says it all.

I get people take the piss out of my car and then eat humble pie when I gloat when they're moaning about the cost of petrol.

Many people who've never driven a Prius have an opinion on it. I have an opinion on Audi and Mini drivers, but that doesn't mean I'm right.

(Audi drivers are usually arrogant big mouths making up for a small 'something', and Mini drivers are usually fat, ugly women in their early 20's. There's a phrase over here; "mingers in minis". A minger is a particularly ugly woman.)

fortytwok likes this.
  15. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Pistonheads is a really good forum overall IMHO - but as ever, attracts its share of trolls. It is remarkable how angry people get about the Prius though.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bonefish can you add you location to your profile so we know approx. where you are coming from?

17. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There are other good reasons to carpool, but the environmental equivalency argument is not that far out there. 90+% of my trips are to work, but that's only 1.5 miles each way and all in EV mode. I travel at least as many EV miles with the family. About 50% of my PiP miles (5000 miles total) are gasoline and I average over 4 occupants on these. On the EV miles, I average about 2 occupants, but all of these are home solar powered. There are plenty of PiPers getting high passenger miles per gallon.

One also has to consider that plenty of buses are partially full for much of their life cycle. They burn about just as much gas during off-peak hours with just a few people on board.

18. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What's the most common reason for anger over the Prius in the UK?

19. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Let me guess. UK people don't like the Prius because it's not a domestic brand?

20. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

You got me wrong. I'm not against carpooling. I was saying from my observation, people don't use Prius for carpooling. I don't live in the city and it is difficult to find people who are willing to share rides. They all want to drive because they want to come and go as they please. Many people have kids so their schedule is unpredictable. I just have a feeling that people buy Prii so that they could afford not to have to carpool.

If you look at the forest instead of just the trees, you would realize that public transportation will help reduce gas consumption for many drivers. If more people take buses and trains, there would be less cars on the roads which help reduce traffic congestion and as a result, less cars would be sitting in traffic idling. The buses themselves may use more gas but it would help others to save more gas.

Lourun likes this.