1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here's a model 3 that promotes climate change awareness

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Jul 27, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    actually, in the Star Trek movies & series?- John Luke Picard did in fact resist the Borg, where that phrase originated. Yep - even in the movies. That's the problem with trying to jam stuff down other people's throat. Eventually the paradigm shift will happen, but .... that shift? It has to be compelling, & nice - not forced on everyone like some kind of plague ... that's just something to think about.

Zythryn likes this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Please note, the Tesla owner with the Warming Stripes wrap doesn’t consider himself a kindred spirit of el Crucero.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    maybe the Model 3 folk are, if they are in fact "locutus" ...
    One of the electric boats on our Lake just got a very cool Pirates of the Caribbean type wrap. I'll have to get on over there tomorrow morning, maybe post a picture. Ok - better get home before it gets too dark.
    [​IMG]

#4 hill, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How on earth does that promote anything other than conspicuous consumption?

I mean, I get it, the artwork is interpreted data. That is cool. I appreciate that. But in this form it is stripped of all context. It's just a blingy show-off that does nothing whatsoever for climate awareness and probably does at least as much against it. I mean, it's only going to be recognized or realized by people who already agree with the underlying statement. Way to feel good about preaching to the choir.

If you want a visual statement loaded with environmentally positive energy, always show the car with every seat full. No wasted potential.

hill likes this.
  6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You know the guy and he has told you he is not a kindred spirit? Is that your car? If so, I am in awe. Well done.
    Well played, another Star Trek fan. But you misinterpreted my point or perhaps I didn't present it properly. The Borg is Big Oil and the Climate Change deniers. They have been forcing their agenda down people's throat for years to the point where most have been brainwashed. Yes, it is necessary to resist that agenda. Yes, the paradigm shift will happen but only if we have more "canaries in the coal mine." Greenhouse gases are a plague and there is nothing nice or compelling about them.
    Spending money on gasoline is conspicuous consumption. Transition to alternative energy sources is not accomplished immediately. It is a continuum of change. The more BEVs on the road the better for all of us.

There are some who have already nit-picked the art work. For example, the red should have been at the top and the blue at the bottom to be technically correct. But he is getting attention on the Internet and in the news. It is a start, perhaps a small start, but it is the beginning of getting the story out. I don't know how much he paid for the wrap, it usually runs around $5000, but he is putting his money where his mouth is. Some folks pay lip service to climate change but are unwilling to make any personal changes. @Zythryn is an example of someone who is committed to making a difference and I applaud him for it.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think spending money on any form of energy for repetitive personal travel is a bit naff. I agree that a BEV on the road is better than a petroburner on the road. But it's a lot of money to pay for a baby step. A BEV that isn't on the road (replaced by a carpool plan, mass transit or bicycle) is better still, and usually dramatically cheaper to achieve in dollar cost terms.

For some people, $5000 is lip service. When you're talking about an expensive electric car this is more likely to be true.

An hour a day picking up and dropping off your carpool partners? Now that's something worthy of celebration in the media far and wide. Yet it's essentially unheard of. Save the real glory for the real heroes.

#7 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    ETC(SS) and tpenny67 like this.
  8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you. No car is the best personal option. Unfortunately our society has been built on cars, most of our cities are designed for cars. You can tell people not to own a car, and you may get a couple to change. Or you can share the advantages of electric cars, and get hundreds of thousands to change.

So I applaud those that have no car. Use a bike, or efficient mass transit, or walk. They are the true heroes. But you can’t change society quickly to that mode.
    We as a society can have a bigger impact by cutting a million people’s CO2 in half, than by cutting 100 people’s CO2 by 99%.

I get what you are saying. But I have had more conversations about climate change in the last two weeks than ever before. At events, in parking lots, online. This has helped raise awareness and bring the topic back to top of mind for many.
    I’ve seen people reading the documentation I leave in the windows, or studying the CO2 graphs which don’t show up well in pictures.

Yes, it’s loud, it’s obnoxious, and it draws attention and gets conversations started. Which is the whole point.

I am that guy. And thank you :)

Here is the full blog on it. Www.netzeromn.com/blog

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you are worried about greenhouse gases, stop eating beef as cow flatulence is a major cause;).

And since it takes almost 700 pounds of water to make 1 pound of beef, you’ll help the water situation out too(y).

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Now, I dig that. I didn't realize you were providing that level of information when parking. I retract my previous "stripped of context" comment.

I appreciate the difficulty of adapting to a lower-impact lifestyle. Only once have I made a conscientious household move to within walking distance of my work. It wasn't cheap, but the payoff sure was nice. I was caught off-guard by the reactions of my co-workers. I didn't think it was that big of a deal at the time. As you say, lots of conversations.

Yesterday I caught a news article regarding Seattle-area traffic. The senior official stated the opinion that nothing more could be done with the roads themselves, and that any future spending would be best applied to helping people re-settle closer to their jobs.

...Back to the wrapped car- What can you do with the vinyl once it is time to remove it from the car? With all the publicity it might be a bit recognizable if they pull it out of a whale's gut.

#10 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jul 28, 2018
  11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One of my favorite talking points about our move into a net zero house, was that we also moved a mile and a half from my wife’s work.
    We also moved about 15 miles closer to just about everything. I calculated the amount of time we are saving. Turns out we bought ourselves about 2 weeks of extra time each year.

These are the types of things I enjoy sharing, as it appeals to everyone, not just those focused on the environment.

The manufacturing and disposal of the wrap were definately considerations. We will do our best to recycle or reuse the wrap when we are done with it. Balancing the raised awareness and discussions, I consider it worth it.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    the thing is, CO2 becomes such a hot-button - because glaciers used to be practically down near Florida, centuries if not more, before the Industrial Revolution. My thinking is why go there, when simply making transportation more energy efficient ... well - that in itself will reduce CO2, and it robs the folks that squawk about its validity of an argument that doesn't need to exist necessarily. (imo)
    Ok, so i gotta boat on over to rhe pirate wrap now ... just to stay on the OP's topic

EDIT:
    HERE YOU ARE!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Electric boats. You might say this guy is an "Ecco pirate"
    The nice thing about a lake filled with electric boats is you not only don't smell the stink of gas, you don't hear the noise waking you up nice and early or keeping you up late at night.
    Certainly no one in our 500 home Community throws it in people's face, "you need to be more like me ... grow your own fruits & veggies & only work for / do biz w/ equally Ecco freaks - blah blah".
    (imo)
    PS
    I like those cannons .... even though, if they were real, they would release a burst of CO2

#12 hill, Jul 28, 2018
    Zythryn likes this.
  13. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry, I'm vegetarian. But that is a whole 'nother conversation.

14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    WATT FUN! I presume this is OC rather than TN. I know that electric boats are all the rage in the Balboa Island area. I wonder if the Pirate Boat guy is the same one who does the Halloween extravaganza. A good friend/former boss, who is a Balboa resident, owns the electric boat rental concession in that area.

15. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    [​IMG]

16. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Doesn't that argue for hybrids for everybody instead of BEVs for the few? Over the next decade or two...

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you believe it is an either/or, then yes.
    I don’t so why we can’t have both, do you?

18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    According to concerned scientists, the next decade or two will be too late. It argues for all automakers to provide viable 100% electric vehicles in the next two years, in all price ranges, with accelerated technology. Tesla brought the model 3 from concept to initial production in 15 months and full production in 24 months. Although the model 3 is not a $20K BEV, certainly legacy automakers with their vast experience, production facilities, and financial resources can do it in two years. That includes building a BEV with around 300 mile range and a global rapid charging network to support it.

19. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The reason we couldn't have both would be if supply of "something" (lithium, cobolt, etc.) is constrained and would take a decade or two to ramp up to "BEVs for everybody" levels. Given a finite supply in the near future, is it better to have 1 Model S (100 kWH battery)? 10 Primes (<10 kWH battery)? Or 50 normal Prius (<2 kWH battery)?

Not sure how fast we can ramp up battery production and the mining of all the raw materials that supports it.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    um, NO - the best illustration?
    Use a new - gas guzzling 2018 Toyota 4x4 Tundra .
    2018 Toyota Tundra 4WD
    .... only 14mpg. all ya gotta do is add 4 more mpg - & you just increased efficiency 30%

BUT - a 50mpg hybrid? - you'd have to get 15 more mpg to get the same increase in fuel efficiency.

Your 30% hybrid efficiency increase saves 93 gallons of gas/yr - figuring 15,000 miles yearly.

sound great? Now consider ONLY a 4mpg - 30% gas saving on a 4x4 Tundra (or similar guzzling land barge)

That measly 4MPG efficiency increase on the Tundra just saved you 833 gallons of gas over the same 15,000 miles .... a 736 gallon greater savings difference between hybrid increased efficiency vs guzzler.

Increasing land barge, guzzler efficiency wins, hands down. Want another teaser?

One of the things EV Bashers most frequently forget is that when Tesla's Model S & X eat the lunch of giant SUVs & cars like Range Rover, Caddy, MB etc ... they are not just saving 4mpg - 30% (736 gallons a year) .... No they are saving the guzzlers' entire 1,000+ gallons /yr.

even the EV's fictional 90ish MPGe represents some 6 fold efficiency increase when compared against a giant dino-fuel burner, vs pure electrons in a big SUV sized EV - that power, often generated via owners PV.

but if you can't do that? yea - we'd best be working on Tundra & similarly sized pickups & SUV's & the like.
    WAY farther back than a decade ago, spokesperson for such scientists (not to bash Al Gore) forcasted cataclysmic rising seas, etc, yet here we are. All that to say, multi-millenia climate forecasting (much less its impact) is far from an exact science, & how much man-released CO2 effects climate is also somewhat speculative - as evinced by the example above.

#20 hill, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018