1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here's an interesting question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusTouring07, Jul 15, 2007.

1. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

Do you have to pass smog check when registering the car? Many states exempt new cars from smog check anyway, but I was wondering about a used Prius.
    Makes sense it would be exempt, considering the electric motor. How would you go about performing the smog check in the first place? Can't be using the conventional method, right?
    Motorcycles are exempt and so are diesel trucks over 10 thousand pounds, so why not the Prius?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 15 2007, 07:44 PM) [snapback]479403[/snapback]</div>
    It depends on the state where you live. Here in Washington the Prius is exempt but a search of this site will show that many other states require the tests on Prius.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The tech plugs a computer into the disgnostic port and the car tells all.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is not an interesting question. It's one that has been asked and discussed ad nauseam.

5. PriusTouring07

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 16 2007, 12:42 AM) [snapback]479485[/snapback]</div>
    haha, ok. I spent 5 hours last night on the forum but didn't run across it. Must've missed it. Anyway, I sent an email to NV DMV and I'll post what they say to me tomorrow.

6. PriusTouring07

Just found out, two counties in NV require smog check for the Prius, including Clark (Las Vegas).

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 15 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]479499[/snapback]</div>
    Near the upper right side of the PriusChat page is the SEARCH button.
    Click on it and then type in your search parameters. In this case I did "Smog Check."

Fifteen seconds later . . . . bamb . . . (pages and pages of strings were someone wrote "Smog Check."
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Search&...lite=smog+check

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It becomes a more interesting question when you consider the "Georgia
    problem" that some tests require valid engine RPM before they'll
    complete. I ran into this in Mass, too, and had to teach the kid
    the idling trick, and then everything was fine.
    _H*

9. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

No, that doesn't "make sense" one bit.

Consider that the car is fueled ENTIRELY by gasoline. Period. That is the only form of energy that goes into the Prius. From that gasoline, the car extracts energy to perform various forms of work, all of which come together to get you down the road.

Whether it's electric motors or farting toads, doesn't matter. The gasoline is used. The Prius is NOT an electric car. It may make use of electricity in order to further the goal of extending the efficiency of utilizing the energy from the gas, but so what?

Given that the Prius is a gasoline car and does have an internal combustion engine, what makes sense is that the car does indeed have to pass a smog test.

10. PriusTouring07

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 16 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]479811[/snapback]</div>

So why are so many states and counties then exempting it?? B)

11. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

For the same reason that they're exempting it from sales tax, HOV lane restrictions, parking laws, and the like.

And/or ignorance--you know, "the electric motor and all".

Somewhere on here is someone who, at time of state registration, was asked to classify his car. Since they didn't have a choice called "hybrid," he hemmed and hawed and finally checked "electric". Not "gas". "Electric."

But it's not an electric car.

He might as well have said "hydraulic"--because after all, the car uses hydraulics to operate the brakes...

12. PriusTouring07

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 16 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]479912[/snapback]</div>

I don't think it's exempt of sales tax in NV. At least the local dealership here told me "plus tax."