1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here's my little Prius trick...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusham, Jun 12, 2005.

1. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    There is another thread on here where the folks are talking about driving around without the little shade that hides the stuff you've got in the hatchback.

Some owners are even leaving the rear panel that covers the "hidden" compartments off. That's all fine, but I personally prefer to keep my stuff (what little of it I carry as extra weight kills MPG) hidden.

It seems nobody has brought this up in the past so I might as well share it with everyone...

In general day to day use, I flip the carpet in the cargo area upside down so that the rubberized part faces up. The carpet in this configuration is not *quite* a perfect fit, but close enough for government work.

It keeps the carpet underneath perfect and the rubber mat is EZ to clean. Stuff doesn't slide around as easily, either.

I did the same thing with the carpeted floor mats in the winter, but you have to switch passenger's to driver's and vice verse.

2. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually for the carpet in back, I bought a carpet remanent and cut it to fit. When it gets dirty, I just get another. I also carry a plastic drop cloth for when I have to put the dead tire in the trunk area.

3. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    PEP Boys has a mat that unrolls and fits nearly perfectly with the seats down. It's the perfect shade of gray for those of us with gray interiors.

I just cut a line into it so that it will cover even with one seat up and one seat down. If both back seats are up it just folds in half, protecting the cargo mat.

The beauty of the mat is that it absorbs several gallons of oil (they advertise oil, but my concern is ocean water coming off of four dogs). It works beautifully, when the water and sand come off the dogs all I have to do is take the mat out, hose it down, let it dry and it's good to go again. It was very cheap, too.

4. Emilyjohn

Emilyjohn New Member

Seeh2o, we have a Golden Retriever; and your suggestion sounds like the perfect solution to our water dog. Do you have a part# or stock# for PEP Boys? We'd like to invest in one of those mats. Thanx.

5. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    No, I'm sorry, I don't have the info on it anymore, I saw it in one of their advertisements over a year ago. I found it in the section where they sell the garage stuff (oil funnels, things like that). It was about $12.00. It comes in a roll wrapped in plastic. I'm sure if you describe it to them in terms of something you would use on a garage floor they would know what you were describing. I just looked on their website, but it's not listed, you probably have to their store to find it.

6. Emilyjohn

Emilyjohn New Member

Seeh2o, thank you, sir.

7. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Uh, I'm not a sir!

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o\";p=\"98135)</div>
    May want to update your profile then. As it is now, we have to guess.