1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here's What Your Cabin & Air Filters Look Like (Likely)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by WhiteShadow, Sep 25, 2015.

1. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't owned my Prius very long...about 2 months. I am in the process of doing maintenance that may not have been done before me. So, the easiest place to start is the the cabin and air filters I figured. Cabin filters get neglected usually and this one was no different. WOW!....nasty. The new one is a Wix...$14 plus tax from O'Reilly and nice quality (Toyota dealer wanted $25):

Next up is the air filter. Not as bad as the cabin filter, but definitely time. I went with Toyota on this one since the difference in price vs. Wix was only $2 and in my experience Toyota makes really nice filters. This one was not made in the USA as I had heard, but made in Japan ($24 at dealer):

So...go change those filters people!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would have said the oem cabin filter is charcoal, but looking at the air filter, i would recommend that you start wearing a dust mask 24/7. :eek: my filters never need changing.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, the OEM cabin filter appearance is deceptive. Ours has looked kinda black from the get go. Due to embedded charcoal? And our engine filter still looks pretty much brand new. Haven't changed either yet, around 56000 km.

Could be cus we're on the west coast, all those VW diesels are downwind of us. :whistle:

Well, except the ones in China. :(

AzWxGuy and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you buy a new charcoal filter, it's easy to see, but detecting when they are dirty is a problem.

5. WhiteShadow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you saying this because you drive the electric version? It undoubtedly still has a cabin filter to filter the air for the occupants.

I'd say it's way past due to change them! That's 34k miles. I change air filters about once per year since they can affect power and fuel economy so much.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You will find the Prius crowd very anti-preventative maintenance as whole. You know what to do WhiteShadow.

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I order my filters on e bay in lots of 4 from china (they are all made in china no matter whos name is on them) that covers me for the year
    cabin filters are 6 bucks
    air filters are 9 bucks
    oil filters are 3 bucks
    free shipping.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm very "on it". Just checked recently: both look very clean, the engine filter in particular looks brand new. The cabin filter I cannot get too excited about; still, it's very clean too, and I just reverse blow some air through it.

Filter life seems to depend a lot on location, that's all I can think.

9. WhiteShadow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I'm seeing a pattern on some of these threads. Thanks.

Having bought and sold on eBay and Amazon for several years now, I am very leery of buying certain things from China. Not all filters are made in China, and I'm not suggesting things made in China are bad by any means. But buying a knock-off does not appeal to me, and many of the "genuine" items you see on eBay and Amazon are knock-offs. If your genuine Toyota filters are made in China, that is your first clue that they are fakes. I'm not saying no Toyota parts are made in China, but the filters I've seen are not.

Just for fun, go buy an oil filter from your Toyota dealer (use it as normal,) and then cut one in half to examine it side-by-side with one of the eBay items. You may be surprised.

Most definitely true.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, i'm saying my filters are very clean, even on my previous prii, and my wifes hycams. a few pine needles in the cabin filter or some such that can be tapped out. yours definitely need to be changed.

sure, it might be regional, but i would be concerned to live where i'm breathing air like that. not sure why frodoz would change a clean filter, could there be something that can't be seen with the naked eye?

11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe, just maybe, time to change a filter depends not on color or location or mileage, but on whether it's clogged enough to significantly impede flow, or likely to be soon.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O Now now...you're twisting my words Bisco.

13. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    if you google "where are Toyota oil filters made you will see they are made in Twain.They are made by Denso in Thailand that are rebranded for Toyota".

I never said the items I order are marked Toyota,they are not and I have never had a problem with them and at 50% off or more ill keep using them.as far as cutting open filters that will not happen, yes I have seen the you tube videos where they do it and there is a difference but not enough for me to spend an extra 8 bucks per oil filter

#13 Beachbummm, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The air quality where you live must be HORRIBLE. :eek:

I do my cabin filter at the recommended change intervals. It goes in white and comes out a very light gray. I'd almost question the need to change it at all.

I get my parts on Amazon.

bisco likes this.
  15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    How or why do you cut a cartridge oil filter in half? This is the 3rd gen part of the forum. We use cartridge oil filters! You can see the construction without cutting.
    Ditto for the air filters. But you already knew that. The activated charcoal cabin air filter is always blackish. You can't tell if it needs changing by looking at it. The only way to tell would be to use a manometer across it when it was filtering fan driven air. Nobody does that. So I guess your method of replacing it by time is the correct one.

A side note - our cartridge oil filter was developed not to impede self oil changing, but to reduce toxic garbage. I wondered what part of the used cartridge oil filter would be left after burning (presumably in a proper furnace that produces power from the energy released). So I set fire to one. There was nothing left, and no toxic fumes were released (no plastics).

Oh, and if this is a poll, I use the "genuine Toyota" filters from the dealer parts department. They come in a pretty red box splashed with the Toyota label all over it. ;)

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Happened to tune in CBC radio one time when they were talking to an oil recycler. What they do with used oil filters, and "empty" motor oil bottles, is recover the oil, using shredding, steam and centrifuges.

One tip the guy had: take the time to do a second pour of your oil bottles. When dealerships and third-party oil changers use bottles, they're rushing, tend to leave an ounce or two in the bottom of each bottle.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, not my intent. but i do think checking filters is preventative maintenance. it's not necessary to change them unless they are sufficiently clogged, and cannot be cleaned.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ I'd especially agree with that, for the cabin filter, clean away.

For the engine filter, not so much. But it's really moot: ours looks brand new at 56000 kms. I believe it's overdue for changing if you look at the schedule, but I'm fine with it.

19. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see the OP is in Folsom, CA not too far from where I am in Roseville. It could be from the big fires we've had in the last year. King last year, Valley, Butte, among the other small ones. I am going to look at mine now actually and see what it looks like.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think most are averse to paying the dealer to do unnecessary work and to changing things more often that needed. A good example is the filter in the 1st photo. I could be wrong, but the photo seems to be saying the filter needed changed based solely on the color and we all know that is not the case with charcoal filters. That said, given the appearance of the engine filter in the 2nd photo, I would have changed both filters because it appears the air is either really dirty in the Folsom area (fires?) or the filters haven't been changed in a long time. However, recommended change intervals are just that, recommendations, and they are 1 size fits all without any consideration given to locale. If I lived in the LA area, I'd check/change my filters more often simply because of the smog. But, like Mendel, mine look new after 35,000 miles, partly because most of those miles have been cross-country highway miles and not smog-clogged city miles. To be sure, clean is better than dirty, but just because something is discolored doesn't mean it isn't functional. People buy cheap filters that don't have near the filtering capability of others and they think they are doing good preventive maintenance. Unless they've compared particle trapping specs, they might actually be doing more harm than good even if they change them twice as often.

Mendel Leisk, bisco and AzWxGuy like this.