1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hertz to include a 'green line' in rentals.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Godiva, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hertz to include fuel efficient vehicles in fleet

"Hertz Corp. earlier this month announced a restructuring of its fleet as it launched a "green collection" of more than 35,000 cars with fuel-efficiency ratings of at least 28 miles per gallon, including such models as the Toyota Camry, the Ford Fusion, the Buick LaCrosse and the Hyundai Sonata. "

"Fleet adjustment in this regard, however, has been minimal. With car rental industry already faced with rising fleet costs, it is not feasible for companies to withstand the large investment that would be required for sizable alternative fuel or hybrid fleets.

"Historically, they're very difficult to get," Avis Budget's Lambert said. "As the cost of those vehicles come down, and they become more plentiful, there could be a possibility there, but I don't see that on an immediate basis.""

Now what happens when "fleet" sales start to shift to hybrids, alternative fuel and high mpg/low emissions vehicles. What happens when a manufacturer can't even sell their cars to Avis, Hertz and Budget?

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 1 2007, 04:18 AM) [snapback]369201[/snapback]</div>
    The rental companies seem to like mainstream cars, so I don't see that being a problem... I imagine if all of GM's or Ford's or Toyota's mainstream sedans were only available with hybrid drivetrains, then that's what the big rental companies would have. In a way, this seems like a bit of non-news to me, since when I rent, I usually end up in a Cobalt/Corolla/Galant-sized car and they all seem fairly fuel efficient.