1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

He's getting better MPG than I am

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bruceha_2000, Nov 17, 2004.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I often have these wierd thoughts.
    • Yesterday the guy with the Honda Insight followed me out of the parking lot. So I think: "Dang, he's getting better MPG than I am." Then I noticed the MFD. 99.9. "But not at the moment he isn't!" :)

2. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bruce,

Are you sure that the Honda Insight gets better mileage than a Prius? Last time that I heard, Insight barely got 33 MPG and it's quite a buzz on the Internet:

http://hybridbuzz.blogspot.com/

Quote: "...This is the relevant portion of the report from Century Honda about my Honda car. 2020 miles later, the car still barely gets 33 miles per gallon. Very disappointing and frustrating. Clearly for me, and maybe for Honda as well. The very nice person (Matt) who took it upon himself to conduct the full car inspection seemed confident the adjustments he listed in the report would do the trick. Just not the case..."

Edward

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Edward,
    The Insight ShOULD be getting better overall MPH than my Prius. But not when I'm in Stealth :)

Pete has a Honda Civic Hybrid, not an Insight. I don't know what his issues are. Or rather his car's issues. He has been very vocal about his car getting way less than the EPA rating. He doesn't seem to be someone looking to bad mouth the technology per se, but he isn't getting answers or satisfaction. I don't know his driving habits or terrain so I can't say if they is part of the problem or his car is just not cutting it.

I rented a 2003 HCH in July 2003 and averaged about 49 MPG. But it wasn't a full test as it was only 3 days and I only used about 2.5 gallons of gas, a lot of it highway.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The hybridbuzz guy is our well known media hound Pete Blackshaw - "Poster Boy for the Disenchanted"

http://hybriddriver.com/edreply.html

He's whining about a Civic Hybrid, not an Insight :)

5. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you guys for clarifying this for me. All this time, I thought it was the Insight. But hey, the Prius looks 100x better than the Insight. Besides, my local Toyota parts manager told me that snow gets caught in the Insight's rear wheel wells easily & owners need to take that panel off to remove the snow.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Lets not forget that a civic is a compact, and an insight a 2 seater sub-compact, while an '04/05 Prius is a midsize. If the prius was still a compact, we probably would get 50-70+ MPH real-world mileage.

By the way, my last tank got 59.8MPH on MFD, and 57+ by calculation. Ideal temps (mid 70's avg) and 20-50 miles per trip drives.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i know a guy who owns an insight and it gets only slightly better or the same gas mileage as my Prius does.

but realize, its a two seat car with power a motorcycle would laugh at.

he did say that on occasions in the summer he made 65 mpg on some long trips. but his overall average in the summer was only about 54-55 which is what i got in my Prius in the summer.

8. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"53016)</div>
    Very good point, I totally forgot to factor that in. Thanks.