1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hesitation on rapid acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jonbeck, Oct 28, 2005.

1. jonbeck

jonbeck New Member

I've got a question regarding rapid acceleration. Twice in the past week I've needed to go from a near stop to speed really quickly. Once was getting into the HOV lane from the almost stopped regular lane (had to not get rear ended by the HOV traffic) and once from a stop in a similar merge situation. In both cases, there was a delay after pusing the pedal down before the ICE kicked in. The delay was probably about 1 to 1-5 seconds, but with rushing traffic quickly closing in, it seemed a bit longer!

My question is, is this normal, or do I need to stop by the dealer? I couldn't find any info by searching the forums. I have 14k on it, purchased it in July.

thanks

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think what happened is that the ICE didn't kick in immediately, but the MG's are already moving the car.

3. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i agree, the engine takes a second for the electric motor to spin it up before the engine gets gas and is able to put out power. also while the motor spins up the engine, that motor's output does not go into acceleration.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Grrr. Jonbeck, you stole my idea for an avatar photo. :angry: Is that a great spot for a pic or what?!? Well, Colorado has plenty to offer in the way of photo ops.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    happened to me, once. i'd say if you're worried, bring it in. it is still under warranty.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

there is a bit of lag not a lot but noticable in certian situations like your in. As a suggestion if it happens at the same spot every time what you should/can do is, as you approach the spot where you merge put the car in "B" mode that way the ICE won't stop running and when you step on it as it's already running your going to eliminate the lag. Just a thought.

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I've has this happen, and it seems repeatable from about maybe 15-20mph. There is an onramp with a right turn just before entering it. I take the turn at that speed, and when I stomp it (the ramp is steep), there is a noticable lag in throttle response. It seems to be the nature of the drivetrain to do this.

It will change depending on the loading just prior to stomping. I'm off the pedal during the turn, so I'm stomping from zero throttle at 15-20 mph. If I'm already accelerating mildly (foot on gas) when I stomp, the lag is much less noticeable. Experiment and you may be able to "preload" the car before you stomp, and avoid the lag.

8. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    for getting into the HOV, I leave a few car lengths between me and the car in front of me, so that I can accelerate a little in my lane (just to get rolling) then jam on it as i hop over into the HOV. Again, this is basically "preloading" as the other posters have mentioned.

You can also set the AC no MAX (Heat or cold, depending on outside) to keep the engine running. (Like B, but uses a little more fuel.)

9. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    if you have VSC, it could have kicked in if the tires slipped upon sudden acceleration, causing that "hesitation" or pause.

10. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The PSD could be absorbing some of the hard acceleration initially first as it revs up the engine even if you have the MGs pushing hard.

Make sure you have it floored so the MGs don't conservatively wait for the ICE to spin up. If you can manage it, give yourself some space too...

The Honda CVT lags, and I believe Toyota PSD lags in a similiar way so you need to 'preload'.

I also expect people to slow down if I'm cutting in like that since what else could they do?

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, nine responses and not a single mention of what I believe is the most likely culprit: TRAC (NOT VSC) kicking in. When it it senses the slightest amount of wheel slip it behaves exactly as you describe. Did you get the car with squiggles under it lighting up on your dash?

12. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Although that is reasonable too, I have YET to see TRAC kicking in under dry weather on dry ground when accelerating in a semi-straight manner, or from stop, on the Integrities.

In fact, TRAC will not kick in also if one of the driving wheels is mostly flat (20lbs), and the tire will squeal freely as I made a right turn from stop before.

If TRAC was kicking in without lights, then the dyno tests by Brian would be affected too.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have seen it a lot and its repeatable anytime you are in EV mode and punch it.

to make it less of a jolt you could just go on the throttle a little at first then punch it. that works...but if you have that much time, then punching is probably not necessary

14. jonbeck

jonbeck New Member

Thanks for all the responses. I do not recall the VSC or TracControl indicators coming on. I think I just need to preload the car as you all have suggested. I have seen the traction control come on when going over some railroad tracks, it was dry so it seemed weird, but maybe the tires slipped just right (the tracks are on Montague Expressway Westbound between 680 and 880 for those of you in the South Bay).

I'll mess around with the preloading next week when I'm on my way to work and not driving the Harley. Choices, choices, motorcycle that gets 50+ MPG or car, both can use HOV, but the Prius is not narrow enough for lane splitting!

15. jonbeck

jonbeck New Member

Geeze tripp, there must be another pass in CO that's higher than Loveland! You're right though, a great spot for a pic, this one was at about 6:30AM this summer on my 6500 mile road trip. 12 hours earlier, I was eating BBQ in Manhattan KS.

16. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The Prius will hesitate for a second when floored in that situation. This is normal. It will also hesitate due to wheel spin in wet pavement because of traction control. Normal too. Keep as far away from the dealer as possible. ;)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  17. skijapan

skijapan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I've also used this method when passing other vehicles on a two lane road. Rather than just jamming on the gas pedal and putting it to the floor, I rapidly but smoothly ease the pedal to the floor. This way, I can feel the car responding more accurately to the movement of the gas pedal. It seems to get me up to speed a bit faster than just stomping on the gas like one would in a regular car. This is true when the ICE is running or not.

18. c4

c4 Active Member

I agree- flooring the accelerator always results in a delay before anything happens whereas a controlled ramp-up in pedal pressure seems to get the car going much more quickly and without the delay..

19. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

The hesitation or lag is certainly not TC or VSC; I get no indication, and I know how both feel--this is different. It seems to be a characteristic of the transition from zero-throttle/ICE-off to full ICE at low effective gear ratio. Pre-loading (not the right term, but I don't have a better one) seems to be the solution, and once you know of this, you can use it for most situations where you need a spurt. Lane changing, onramps... these are known before you make the move, so the two-step works. I just go half throttle for 1 sec (which does nothing because of the lag, but preloads it), then mash it when I make my move.

I wish it weren't programmed this way, but I am guessing it is due to the inertia of the drivetrain components (the motors must move or change direction to change the ratio) and/or programming to not make the car hypersensitive to throttle input.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hey cant be all bad... i had a chevy with a vacuum leak, messed up carb and it hesistated frequently too that is if it didnt stall on me...

wonderful POS other than that though...oh wait...

it also got 17 mpg...ah!! those were the days!!

hopefully to never return