1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey Airportkid...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Curious question:

What's are some great non-piloting aviation jobs/careers, and ballpark salaries?

Long ago, my career took a different path, I started in aviation, and ended up here... Anyway, I've done a fair amount of research over the years, and found that most aviation jobs/careers don't pay well at all. Just wondering if there was something I missed somewhere... Know any non-pilots in aviation that make serious cake?

2. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Squid,

Sadly there are not many great paying non-pilot jobs anymore. Mechanics are pretty good if you have all the certifications (A&P, etc). Pilots do make serious money if they are with one of the majors (American, United, Northwest, etc), but they pay some MAJOR dues before they get there. A starting pilot puts in 15 to 20 years flying weed wackers and regionals before any of the majors will look at them, then there's about an 80% washout rate.

If you have a job that's portable outside avaition, like a computer geek (myself) then the pay is pretty much market rate. On the other hand, an airline specific job like flight attendant or ticket agent, you're in the <$20/hr pay range.

Benies on the other hand are quite good, the flight benefit is a big plus if you like to travel, especially in my case when the in-laws are 9,600 miles away.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used to run a Flight School from 1976 to 1985. You know how you make a small fortune in aviation? Start with a big fortune LOL

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol:

Thanks guys...

...I figured as much, just thought I'd check in to see if anything had changed...

...I don't know, maybe I'll try to single handedly bring back Dirigibles as a viable form of transportation... Maybe start a Dirigible "sightseeing" line...

Sort of sucks though, the golden days of Aviation are truly over... :( At least, that's what I think of when I hang out at "Fantasy of Flight" down near Tampa... I wish I was born an aviation enthusiast in 1900... :( :( :(