1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey, do you know how to track an ordered Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmcclun, May 3, 2006.

1. jmcclun

jmcclun New Member

I was just wondering, [you], if you or anyone else knew how to track online or who to call at Toyota to find out either how long it would be for your ordered car? Anyone have any knowledge on how to do that, with this group and the history of the car their should be away to track them.

Edited to remove the YOU qualifier. Maybe this will kill the thread, sorry if it upset you,[you].

2. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The only thing that I know how to do is to just contact your sales person. I called mine the other day but he said that he wouldn't know anything until Thursday. They have the tracking info on their computers but I dont think that they have it on the web or anything like the sort. Definately will know in the next week or two and said that he would be e-mailing of any updates. There are many things that could hinder the wait......if mine cannot be located within their internet pool I was going to get one off the boat from Japan in houston.....then all of the accessories put in there (they could be out of stock and more of a wait) and then the ship up takes time too. All in all said @ 3-4 weeks. Hopefully :)

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Howdy PRomIthiUS

First, I understand you cannot "ORDER" a Prius... thus you cannot "TRACK" a non-existent order. Apparently you haven't been following PriusChat long. You can either locate a Prius "in stock" and buy it, or place your name and specifications on a "waiting list" with a Dealer. Snoop around on PriusChat and take note that those who are "waiting" never mention "tracking."

4. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>
    How to track the order of a Prius? That was a long-standing question, even before I bought mine.

First, I bought mine through the internet department. Experience has shown that they have better tracking (if at all), because their customers generally call them more about their car.

Then, with the car on order, call the salesman. Weekly. The question is not 'is it here yet' but rather 'has the car been built' and 'is it on the boat'. Once you have an answer to the second question in the affirmative (its on the boat headed this way) then you can think of all the other transportation that needs to happen to get it to the dealer site. Remember, though, that some things are added to the car (such as leather, in some cases), when the car is taken off the boat. Even then, the car may just sit there for several days before it is transported. After that...your guess is as good as mine!

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow... i m surprised such a new poster knows how to use the *you* tag. Good job! :lol:

As for the question, others already answered.

6. mike_m

mike_m New Member

You'll be happy to know that the info above seems to be the best way. My 06 is on order, and I just keep checking with the dealer.

mike

Voted 06' "Prius Chatter of the Year"

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have read of ways (here on PriusChat) to check the allocation of Prii to a given Dealership;
    however, I used that method to see if my car (which I knew was on the way, on the boat) was
    "allocated" to the dealership I bought it from.....and it did not appear in the allocation for my dealer.
    I guess they may have "worked a deal" with another dealer's allocation to get the one I wanted.

You can go on the Toyota website, click on "find a dealer", once at that dealers site click on "New Car Inventory", the click "Prius", and see what they are "expecting" to get & by when. But that's no sure thing.

8. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

We bought ours off the lot.

9. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I ordered mine in August '04, there were so few Prii allocated to the Houston distribution center that my dealer was able to track his allotment each month. When Houston assigned VINs to my dealer's monthly allotment, we were able to track those two (2) cars, one of which was mine.

This year's US Prius allocation is much greater than it was two years ago, so I don't know if that kind of tracking would be possible today....sorry. :(

10. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>

Yes, get a damn good blood hound. Or one of those pigs that can snuff out truffles.

11. captnslur

captnslur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>

We depend on our sales rep to know when the car is due in. After we ordered our 06 package 4 in mid-March, she said that they had their allotment for the next period of time and that ours would be in toward the end of May. It just happens that our color/package combo was in that allotment. Since we wanted a particular combination it took about 10 weeks for ours. If we weren't too picky about color or package, we would have gotten one faster. Sometimes I understand dealers can "horse trade" one combination for another with near by dealers. that's our experience in Mankato, southern Minnesota.

12. adpiattny

adpiattny New Member

I got lucky.. I just went to the lot on my lunch break and there was my used 2004 prius waiting on me. Sorry- I have no clue about the new ones. I know that I was extremely lucky to just "walk up " on mine.

13. aalpenia

aalpenia New Member

PromitIthiUS,

All I know is that my salesperson is tracking it for me. He basically has a read on the delivery date since I am on the second shipment in May. The process was that he would got his allotment numbers from toyota (normally 3 week before delivery) and assigned me a car from that batch. After that he could track all movement of the vehicles - from the time they left the plant in Japan to the moment they arrive at his dealership.

Finally, not much transportation from dock to dealer required, since my dealer is in LA, and so is the dock where the Prii arrives,and they are the largest Toyota dealership in the US, so they have some sway on vehicle numbers and timing.

14. gracetaylor

gracetaylor New Member

Hmmm...my guy at the Toyota dealer where we bought the car told me it would definitely be in within 6 weeks, but I don't know if there's a way to track online or not. Did you order one too? What package? Did you get it below sticker? I'm hoping I didn't get ripped off for paying sticker. :rolleyes:

15. DAT1

DAT1 New Member

Yeah, I know....call your dealer. Mine told me the car was to be in port on the 1st and it should be about 3 weeks after that to delivery. I did not order mine in the sense that you could have what you want rather I was at the dealer talking cars and he said he might have a Prius that was coming in. After much searching I bought this one as I did not have to wait until I was a grey beard to drive it....well I am a grey beard but you get the picture....anyway I may not have exactly what I would have if the option to order was in place but in our area they are sold before they hit the lot so you pretty much have to take what you can get or wait.

16. agomez

agomez New Member

Order?? I called one day picked it up the next! ....Black 06 pkg#6 just drove to San Antonio from houston on half a tank of gas....Cool!!!

17. samkusnetz

samkusnetz New Member

www.toyofuji.co.jp is the website for the shipping company that toyota uses. using their website, you can find the arrival date for the next three or four boats, and compare that information against what you're hearing from your dealer.

when my dealer said "probably the second half of april" i was able to come back with "ah. you mean the shipment that lands on april 24?"

specificity from the customer can sometimes help keep honest dealers honest. :)

18. mmurphy000

mmurphy000 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 3 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]249290[/snapback]</div>
    Heck, I'm trying to figure out why exactly he's asking me, considering I'm probably #756 on the ranking list of Prius authorities on this site...

:D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mmurphy000 @ May 3 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]249376[/snapback]</div>
    Nevermind, just realized I got caught by a script trick...

19. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mmurphy000 @ May 3 2006, 07:22 PM) [snapback]249376[/snapback]</div>
    no - you must be at least #755, because you know more than I do, and *I* am #756!

20. landstander

landstander darling no baka

A place where the nuts hunt the squirrels
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, it's official... I'm absolutely sick of the @#$% [*you*] tag! :angry: