1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey! I Finally Learned How to P&G

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Susanne101, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

Hello Everyone!

I am so proud of myself!! After searching and searching, I finally found the link at CleanMPG.com how to Pulse and Glide through PriusChat.
    Yesterday, I got a chance to practice this techinique and WOW am I amazed at the results. I improved my MPG by 3 yesterday. From 41mpg to 48pgm.

I will be teaching this to my daughter next week when she comes home from Oregon. She purchased her 2007 Prius in January 2007 and I purchased mine in February.

I am so thankful for everyone for helping me learn how to better utilize the Prius to her best advantage. Yes, my Prii is a she.

This is the best car purchase I have ever made.
    Wish I knew how to put the thread on here from CLEANMPG.com so that everyone can learn it.

Evan, whom I really trust; Can you repost this thread on the Stickeys from Wayne Gerdes June 21, 2006 from CLEANMPG????
    I really think that newcomers can benefit from this. I need the visuals that this post provided in order to really attain the needed results.

Susanne

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Way to go, Susanne! Keep practicing, and look for routes suitable for P&G, and you'll push it a lot higher.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Susanne101,

I'm glad it gave you the results you were looking for! :)

I've been doing Pulse and Glide in a Honda Insight over the last year - not the extreme type in traffic, but it really does help.

Hope I can try this on a Prius at HybridFest 2007.

4. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 27 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]431169[/snapback]</div>

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE. I am sssssssssoooooooo EXCITED about this. Your support means so much to me. I am trying so hard to really learn as much as I can. You guys are so far ahead of me and sometimes I am just trying to catch up. Please bear with me. I of course misquoted the ahead by 3mpg. I far exceeded what I thought I could do.

I now don't ever want to take my Pri on short trips. What a bummer. What to do? Any suggestions?

Susanne

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sweeet! congrats!

but err.. 48-41 != 3

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well done! Your mileage will only get better from here on out as you get better at throwing those P&G cycles into your daily routes whenever a good opportunity shows up. Eventually that feathered accelerator position will be second nature and you'll be gliding all over the place.

As for the short trips, you gotta do what you gotta do. Your only recourse short of not going at all is to plan things such that you combine trips, starting with the longest leg to warm up and then hopping your way back on a warm engine. Depending on the conditions you can save quite a bit of gas that way.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susanne101 @ Apr 27 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]431181[/snapback]</div>
    I do, I do. Pick me!

1. Don't take ANY car on short trips. Walk or bike or hitch a ride with somebody else.
    2. If you have to take a car, don't take one that burns gasoline.
    3. If you end up taking your own gasoline burning car anyway, save up a bunch of short trips and do them back-to-back while the car stays warm.
    4. Go back to step one. Figure out ways to use a car less.
    5. Work on your subtraction. :)

8. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 27 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]431482[/snapback]</div>

Yeah Yeah! I know, stupid math error. I realized it right after I posted it.