1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey let’s get hitched!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Cheap!, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Among all of the other mods I am working on and plan to do. The "hitch" that we all know we are not suppose to have; well I guess we can have a hitch… The "Towing" that we are not suppose to do with our Prius is something I would like to do. Why? Well I guess it is because I was told not to.

Anyway, could those of you who tow things please post photos of your "Prius all hooked up and what you are towing." I find it very interesting that people can tow all sorts of things. I think this is a great mod that eliminates some peoples need for a bigger car. I plan to add a light weight camping trailer to carry our camping stuff not an actual camper.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. As for me doing what I am told not to do…Yes my Parents had a hard time with me….and no I would not jump off a bridge if my friends did…at least not again!...well at least I wouldn't go first this time.

2. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only problem with towing in a Prius or any other front wheel drive vehicle, is that anything heavier than an extremely light trailer is simply dangerous...

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I agree!

So do you tow?

4. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My brother has a Jeep with a hitch.

5. StuartS

StuartS New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jul 28 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]293837[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree with your generalisation about towing with a front wheel drive vehicle!

Providing that you conform to the manufacturers recommended maximum towing weight of the vehicle and are sensible about the trailer nose weight there is no danger. Over the past 20+ years I've towed 16 foot caravans and various trailers with my cars, which have all been standard front wheel drive, over some of the most difficult terrain in Britain & Europe. I agree that if your rear suspension is soft it can cause a problem but surely you configure your car for the job in hand with suspension assisters if that's the case.

The prius in the UK hasn't been type approved for towing, presumably that's also the case in the States, therefore tow bars are also not type approved. Towing a trailer with a receiver hitch is illegal but not dangerous if common sense is used.

Stuart S

6. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know if a person chooses to modify their vehicle appropriately it is possible to tow with front wheel drive. The reason I made my statement is that in my experience, most people do not want to modify their vehicles with the exception of adding the hitch itself, and most folks tend to go to a U-haul or other place and just install whatever they think is supposed to be installed. The engineering of a tow system is beyond most peoples understanding, or desire to understand.

I would not sleep well at night if I thought for a single moment that someone loaded up a trailer on a front wheel drive vehicle, drove a vehicle on it, and took off down the road with the front end floating like the breeze.

I have been towing stuff since before I had a drivers license and from what I have seen anything more than a light small boat trailer is simply too much for the average driver to handle.

7. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jul 28 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]293984[/snapback]</div>
    Are you talking about pulling a CAR on a trailer with a Prius?? That's ridiculous. No one is doing that, nor even suggesting it. It wouldn't matter if your car is front-wheel or rear-wheel drive. If you overburden the car you will compromise safety and damage the vehicle.

I think a lot of people with "trailer hitches" use them for bike carriers, like I do. It's a convenient attachment point for a bike rack and it makes it easy to load and unload the bikes. It also keeps the bikes out of the airstream on top of the car. Roof racks really kill milage and they expose the bikes to the hazards of low-hanging stuff.

8. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Guy's and Gal's
    This is what I was talking about. Stuff like this.

[attachmentid=4280]

I was wondering what other things people are actually towing with their Prius. I would love to see pictures like this.

9. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it, but I have used my 4x8 utility trailer with my Prius. I used it to move a bunch of my stuff across town. The two biggest loads were a washer and dryer pair with assorted boxes, followed by a '79 honda 750cc motorcycle. Both of those loads felt like they were pushing the limits, but more of the trailer then the car. For the other trips, I carried as many boxes of random household stuff as would fit. The car and trailer behaved beutifully, though I never exceded 55mph. I've also used it to move branches and small logs around my property after we cleared part of a really big tree. That was effortless (well, except loading and unloading the branches ;) ), without pavement, either.

To those preparing to tow, please read the "hitch melting the bumper" thread. If you use a Uhaul hitch, make sure to change the exhaust flow to keep it off the hitch.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jul 28 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]293984[/snapback]</div>
    I think the GVW of a trailer pulled by an owner of a 'towing not recommended' vehicle would have a proper tongue weight SUBSTANTIALLY lower than the weight of 3 or 4 bicycles on a rack, either rear or receiver hitch mounted.

Proper tongue weight is 10 to 15% of the GVW. Assuming your bikes and rack weigh only 100 pounds, an equivilent trailer and load would weigh 700 to 1000 pounds. A small utility trailer weighing 150 or 175# would only have a load capacity of maybe 300 pounds, probably less. Well below that 700 GVW trailer with a 15% tongue weight and more than I could see myself wanting to tow behind my Prius.

11. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here you go. Prius towing Shifter Kart. The loaded trailer weighs about 400 pounds, I'm guessing tounge weight is around 20 pounds or so (easily lifted with one hand). I've intentionally balanced it so that there is just enough tounge weight to keep the trailer from rattling on the hitch. I can barely notice the trailer being pulled, no handling problems at all. Mileage drops to about 42 while towing from a normal of about 50. [attachmentid=4512]

BTW, note the Formula Ford being towed in the background. Guess which race car is faster, the Formula Ford or the shifter kart? Hint: bigger isn't always better ;)

12. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jul 28 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]293837[/snapback]</div>
    I guess I have to jump in here on this one. This statement is simply not true. Many SUV's and minivan's for example are front wheel drive. Our SUV is Front wheel drive when the 4 WD is not kicked in. The manufacturers publish towing specs for them and even put the hitch on the vehicle. We're not talking cheap or unknowledgable hitch installations here.

If you stay within the manufacturers maximum towing capacity and tongue weight this is not dangerous. Putting a light tongue load on the back end of a vehicle that is sporting a few thousand pounds of it's own weight, nevermind the fact that a lot of that weight is forward of the center of gravity with the engine and the front half of the vehicle, the front wheels are not close to being lifted enough to affect the handling, even during acceleration.

To say that towing "with any other front wheel drive vehicle ... is simply dangerous" is a bit of an extreme statement.

Yes, if you tow beyond the manufacturers recommendations on tongue weight you can find yourself with a whole new experience in steering. And if you exceed the maximum towing capacity you could fry your transmission, brakes, or have a unique experience in stopping the load. Which of course means any towing at all with the Prius.

I'm curious what would happen if you got into an accident with a Prius towing something. By definition you are exceeding the manufacturers recommended capabilities of the vehicle. Do you therefore have some new liability? Can they hit you with careless or reckless operation of a vehicle? Is it illegal or just poor judgment in the eyes of the law?

13. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Aug 16 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]304250[/snapback]</div>
    Sweet - what are the graphis on the side? got a better pic of that?

14. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey Cheap!, do you know what kind of trailer was being towed.

Wayne

15. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Aug 17 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]304610[/snapback]</div>
    No, but here is what I do to find out.
    First go to google and type in "Prius" and "Tow"
    Then I click on "Images" and "search"
    I look for the same pic and click on it.

That lead to this
    http://www.plusaf.com/coast/coast1.htm
    and this lead to that
    http://www.plusaf.com/index.htm
    His email is on that page and you can ask. If you find out please let us know. I think I want that one for camping stuff.
    Thank you.

16. phumpher

phumpher um...oh...uh...wa...er

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  17. Curt

Curt Junior Member

For those who have a hitch, which hitch did you get and where did you buy it?

Thanks,
    Curt

18. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just ordered the Coastal 2" hitch reciever because there are more options for reciever adornments than for the smaller receiver. besides, I have a Thule 2" Bike rack that I use with my Audi TT Roadster, so I wanted to be able to use it on both cars.

Imagine a propeller on the back of a Prius - and the people behind you wondering what you tow!

19. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  20. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Aug 17 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]304765[/snapback]</div>
    yep, that's me... plusaf. three times 'cross the USA in that configuration.
    got questions?
    start with my pages listed above.
    want a photo? how about My Trailer hooked to my Prius....?
    gobs of details at: Saga of my Prius, with trailering details....