1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey Nav, shut up please!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by IABoy987, Jun 2, 2014.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have the Nav package and does a great job of guiding me here and there as I deliver meals on wheels, drive people to their doctor appointments etc. Only problem is when I tell it to take me home and it gets me back onto familiar roads, I can't make it stop talking like I could my Garmin unit. Closest I can get according to the manual is a pause function which is another menu which I don't want to fumble with at 65MPH.

Anybody else figured out how to stop the nav from "naving"?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Go to Setup -> Voice -> Auto Voice Guidance = Off

3. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What I was looking for was way to silence nav as needed not "permanently". My Garmin has a stop button on screen that stops the route.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are several different NAV versions, we can't see what you have.

I have two ways to do this on mine:
    (1) Options -> Stop Guidance;
    (2) [NAV speaker icon at lower left] -> [adjust volume to zero]

5. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I did not realize there was more than one nav package. Only thing I can tell you is it came with JBL sound system, otherwise my owners manual only shows one type of screen pictures and does not differentiate.
    Thanks

6. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hit the Voice Button on your steering wheel and say, "STOP GUIDANCE."

KK6PD likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will help if you fill in the Model field of your profile. Combined with the year, that should narrow it down.

My 2012-Three was built after the mid-cycle refresh, when equipment was changed, and lacks JBL. So it is very likely different than yours.

8. stannc

stannc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting, as "getting the NAV to shut up" was one of the features that the "delivery rep" at the dealer insisted on showing me.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  9. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Again, using voice commands... you can say "pause guidance" then "resume guidance", also the voice command "lower" will reduce the volume of the guidance lady without stopping guidance.. reverse command is "louder".

Roland

KK6PD and BluetoothEdsel like this.
  10. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I found that I have the XM Navigation package. AND after ALOT of page turning finally found the "secret". Once the route guidance starts (voice announcing turns etc), I can touch the ROUTE bar at lower center of map screen. Another menu pops up and I press the PAUSE bar. To resume I repeat the procedure and voice starts announcing again.

11. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    That is the touch method.... if your windows are closed and the interior of the car is quiet enough, it is doubtless safer to press the voice control button on the steering wheel and issue the same command using voice.... "pause guidance".

Only use the touch screen if it is safe to take your eyes off the road.

Roland

12. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Roland,
    Unfortunately the voice command that you mention does not work. I was in a quiet car with no engine or AC running and windows closed. When I press the voice button on the steering wheel, I hear a phrase that sounds like "please say password". Sounded kind of garbled and mumbled . I read through the whole voice recognition pages in manual and command list but don't see anything for navigation start/stopping, or password. I checked and everything appears enabled in screen menus for voice recognition.

13. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Very weird error... doesn't sound like the prompt for a password is coming from the car. could be your phone has Bluetooth and is somehow intercepting???

Use the on screen buttons... exact same thing I was telling you about, just takes your eyes off the road a little longer.

Roland

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given that you have a 2011, you have the "legacy" 7" Denso unit (the same as the 2010 models). I can attest that what Roland1555 suggests works - Pause Guidance.

The initial blurb she says when you press the VOICE button is: "After the beep, please say a command such as, Go Home, Destination, Phone, Audio or Command List". (Yes, I use the voice button enough times lol). Assuming you haven't changed the settings regarding the VOICE button, you can simply press the VOICE button any time to interrupt her but always wait for the beep before saying "Pause Guidance". I noticed that "Pause" doesn't work as well and tends to result in a different command more than 50% of the time so I tend to be explicit and saying the full command.

Hopefully the PDF shows up below. Commands are also available in French (Canadian) and Spanish.

Attached Files:

KK6PD likes this.
  15. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Every time I try to say the voice command "Stop Guidance," it thinks I want to go to Stockton, California. Is it that it really can't understand me over A/C and road noise, or do I need to somehow get into another menu first?

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use "Pause Guidance" and that seems to have a better success rate.

17. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Agree with that, but have to add that when I'm travelling on the highway with the sunroof open.... better to close it before attempting any voice commands.... the little mic up there is just too close to the sound of rushing wind to discern my commands.

Roland

18. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Err, why if it's guiding you home don't you want it to, or why if you know your way home is it guiding you?

19. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK - I tried saying "Pause Guidance," and it said (paraphrasing), "Sorry, that entry is not in the phonebook." I had the Maps app up and the navigation running. Is there something else I need to do, beyond pushing and releasing the talk button, for it to understand that I'm giving Nav commands?

Car has no sunroof, windows up, A/C on. Even did this test stopped at a light on a cool evening (not much A/C fan noise) - so it couldn't be much quieter.
    System is Display Audio w/Entune/Nav.

20. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Likely you have a different command list with Entune than I do with my 2010 JBL DVD based system. If there is not a list of voice commands in your owner's manual, then perhaps they get listed when you press the voice command button on the steering wheel, or another owner here will chime in with a link to the listing for your newer car.

Roland