1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey Toyota!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Gadgetdad, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :) In case some design and engineer types from Toyota read PriusChat, what would you like to see on the next Prius? Don't post a big list, just a few items that come to mind. Lets see what the collective wisdom of this group can come up with.

1. Plug in capability. Not just to get a few miles on all electric mode, but to integrate with the PRE-INSTALLED engine block heater for automatic preheating of the ICE in the morning.

2. LED dome, cargo, map and door lights.

What else???

Lee

2. cubbyg

cubbyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3) Power drivers seat with lumbar support adjust :rolleyes:

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    signals on the side mirrors

4. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 31 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]415691[/snapback]</div>

as well as 2 LEDS that let you know if its safe to switch lanes. Red for if there is a car in your blind spot, Green when there is not. But then again, this should be on all cars.

5. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    dreaming here... Laser Heads up display: displaying infrared front view so I can see the dear or other warm objects at night in my path.

Better Trip computer with the GPS. Like Calc ETA based on the AVG MPH not like we have now that is set for a ave for the type of road.. Texas here... we can do 70 on more than interstate.. and some places 75.

Fuel flow meter to track amount of fuel that has been used since last reset... my 1990 olds had this ... was very nice. should be a easy change :)

my vote for plugable... and add flex fuel... I would love to do 30 on a charge ;)

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wouldn't mind if the cruise control was completely redesigned to be more like the one I used to have in my Saturn. Of all the things I love about my Prius, the one that really annoys me the most is the cruise control.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nark @ Mar 31 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]415702[/snapback]</div>
    While I'm all for Lane Change Assist, technically you should be aware of the vehicles around you especially on the highway (I'm not picking on you or your driving habits in case you're wondering). You should know that there is a car in the blind spot if you've been keeping track of vehicles in your mirrors.

8. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    a standard 12v battery.

9. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A rheostat for the steering wheel lights and a built in Dice unit.

10. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Get rid of all the rattles, please!

11. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Industry Leading 75MPG at Highway Speeds
    No Navigation/Bluetooth Lockouts (like the rest of the world)
    Soundproofing
    Any Chance for Hybrid X Type Styling?

Otherwise I love my Prius.

12. pebi

pebi New Member

A simple one:
    - An extra "low volume" signal horn.

For use when you have seaked up behind a few pedestrians at a parking lot. You can use the normal horn, but since you are just behind them, it would probably kill them ;) When I have done this with carsl earlier (there are other pretty quiet cars..) I have just pressed the cluth and reved the motor just a bit, but with the Priuis... I do not want to kill anybody I just want to pass.... ;)

;)

/Per

13. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

Smart intermittent rain sensitive windshield wiper system like on my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. What can I say, I live near Seattle.

Smart cruise control. Meaning that if I have cruise control on and I come up behind another vehicle it should slow and follow that vehicle until it gets back up to the speed that I set.

Built in iPod connection.

Let us be able to see the list of upcoming songs on iPod and CDs while driving.

Better (more) night time dimming on rearview mirror. Right now I can --barely-- notice the difference of when it is on or not. (I have about four months a year where I get to work in the dark and it is dark before I head home.)

Night time dimming of lights in side mirrors.

The buttons to turn on the map lights should be built into the map lights themselves.

Added -> Better sound proofing. Ok ... LOTS better sound proofing.

14. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Power 6-way adjustable seats (up and down is 5 & 6) - and the lumbar thing.
    Plug in with bigger/better battery pack... when tech permits.
    no MFD lockout, and foglights that work (brighter).

oh, and shifting to reverse should be over and down, not up. more intuitive that way. How many times have I been looking backwards and shifted into drive again thinking it was reverse! Almost all manual transmissions pull the stick towards the rear of the car when going into reverse, and since this "stick" setup is more like a manual than an automatic, I think that would be appropriate.

[edit]
    oh and I forgot: some sort of telescoping steering wheel so it can be closer to me while maintaining leg room and wheel height. sometimes I find that i'm slouching a bunch so I can reach the steering wheel. Maybe I just have hideously long legs and short arms....

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jgills240 @ Apr 2 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]416437[/snapback]</div>
    In that case you mean over and down to the right lol.

But don't forget that some 6-spds do have the reverse gear over to the left and up.

Also look at the pattern. It goes PRND.

Toyota, here's a good method. Write a disclaimer in the beginning stating you're not responsible for any accidents yadda yadda yadda if they look at teh screen. Have a "do not show this again" box and let them click "I Agree"

Let the screen be able to come up again (if the person sells the car). If anything happens and they try to sue, you can always point them to the screen they didn't bother to read.

Now, after that, let the rest of us enjoy RDS, CD-TEXT and telephone/nav on the road. Thank you.

16. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Seats that don't squeak. A center console that is not flimsy and more solid. A glove box light that turns off when closed.

17. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I like all the suggestions so far. Can it be made wider so you have more room in the interior without killing the mpg?

18. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How about a subwoofer or 3-way speakers instead of the flat "premium" sound that we paid extra for? How about a car where cranking up the stereo (especially when playing a a CD) doesn't cause the hybrid battery to drain in traffic?

How about a non-econobox horn as standard?

Power seats would be nice. Here's a no-brainer...how about a damned compass? :blink:

Better soundproofing. (This one is so obvious it's a given!)

19. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allargon @ Apr 3 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]417445[/snapback]</div>
    Totally agree about the horn, hard to be taken seriously with that horn.
    Non-lock-out is another one, the passenger should be able to access Nav

20. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Better seats with adjustable height and lumbar.

2. Heated seats.

3. 5-star crash ratings all-around (as opposed to the current 4-star).

4. Rain-sensing wipers.

5. Oil slick dispenser in the back of the car (a la Spy Hunter ... for those tailgating SUVs).

6. A pair of Sidewinder missiles hidden behind each headlight.

That would pretty much take care of all my needs here in CA. B)