1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hi! Best & cheapest hybrid batt replace/most reputable install, '01, Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia region?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by peripatetic pri, Mar 9, 2018.

1. peripatetic pri

peripatetic pri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi! 1st gen '01. Codes

p3006, p3000 per dealer.

have driven 3 x successfully after dlr cleared codes (dlr couldn't replicate), but am told that will recur.

Still trying to figure out whether dlr uses refurbed batteries or whether new. if new, the 1st gen aren't supp to be that great bc of plastic around cells, or something.

has anyone tried the place in kent, greentec?

A place in Tacoma has only installed one other, says they would use a Dorman(?) refurbed battery w 3 yr warranty. Dlrs in Tacoma say 1 yr warranty.

Dlr in Seattle said new battery w 8 yr warranty.

Everytime I call an indep shop and they call dlr, dlrs always tell them batteries are refurbed and new batteries don't exist.

which dlr in this area would be least expensive?

any help much appreciated!

Ajourney, can you let me know where you had installed? And what kind of warranty you rec'd? Thank you!

Any help much appreciated!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many here have used Greentec and it usually ends in tears. Avoid them like the plague.
    Toyota OEM new option is the best for Gen 1.
    I'd be surprised it that is true. New OEM Gen 1 HV Batteries are built with the latest compatible OEM battery modules. @ericbecky or @Texas Hybrid Batteries know more about these things as they do Prius batteries for living and I'd trust them more than random independents.

#2 dolj, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome. My understanding about OEM replacement batteries is that they are made with new stock and are NOT refurbs. Should be infinitely better than refurbs with cells that may be as aged as 18 years. If I had a car and was planning on keeping it for a while, I'd spring for new batteries, even tho the warranty isn't as good. I have heard that the two year OEM replacement battery warranty has been reduced to 1 year.

My 02 had OEM replacement installed in 2013, it is the least of my concerns. My 03, to the best of my knowledge, has the originals, but I've reconditioned and balanced the cells and Techstream tells me that they are within spec. The buss bars were cleaned and reinstalled year before last.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have a 17 year old car, how many more years/miles would you like to keep it?

5. peripatetic pri

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Dolj, Brian, Bisco -- I can't thank you enough, and anyone else who chooses to reply!
    I got lucky - well, actually it was preparation meets oppty - when I bought this 01 prius used from a couple in Fremont, 57,000 miles about 5-6 yrs ago, even had chauffeur keys!
    Now, nearly 120k mi.; I've had to replace a very expensive brake part (elsewhere on this site, someone referred to a loud buzzing/screeching sort of noise in the cabin, that's what I had (thought it was an Amber alert), had towed to dlr and emerged $1500 later. The dlr actually said the took the faulty part out, banged it against something, put it back in and the noise had stopped. At that point I could have saved the $ but just didn't want to be on the freeway w that noise going off again.
    Hence, if I don't have to replace this battery -- or whatever I can save in process - I want to.
    So i talked to a guy @ a Japanese auto place today who said dlr has only about 10% profit on the batteries. I've 'been told that labor is 2 hrs, some say 3, some say 5.
    Warranties? Been told by 3 dlrs it was 1 yr on new battery; then, on phone w one today, questioned why one dlr yesterday in same region had said 8 yr warranty, then when i was on ph they went back to website and concluded it was actually a 3 yr warranty.
    Guy at Japanese auto place today said he hadn't heard great things re Dornan rebuilt batteries; guy I talked to a few days ago said there's been a lot of consolidation in reblt batteries and a few mechanics I talked to said they'd had a lot of problems installing reblt, so a few refuse to install them anymore.
    After sheer exhaustion by the end of the day today I finally concluded that I should go to dlr w 8 yr warranty if they'll honor what they said and try to negot price down as much as poss.
    When I called dlrs in area a few days ago, literally one quoted a battery @ $2800 and one @ around $2300.
    I think I'll wait until the error occurs again and have it towed there, just in case it never does occur.
    But that is the weird thing. I can't quite fig out what the codes represent. The guy @ Japanese auto place said that the P3006 merely indicates a lot more investigation and that there's a whole lot of flow chart steps after that to complete. I think the dlr did all these, but the best I could get out of the tech is that the electrical charge varied by a bit too much between the cells.
    Guy @ Japanese auto place said that P3000 is the check engine to make sure customer gets in and gets things analyzed.
    I am just trying to figure out what could possibly maybe have made these codes a 1-time thing, based on the fact that, for instance, in November I was just setting out in the car and suddenly the turtle light came on (looks exactly like turlte on a tub of turtle wax) I called a mechanic who had driven the car around and checked the spark plugs, and he said that if the light went off on its own (it soon did) not to worry about it. it hasn't returned since. (however, previously the turtle light has gone off 3 x: the 1st 2 times I replaced 2 diff coils; the 3rd time they couldn't find any codes so they just switched spark plugs betw 2 diff cylinders).
    We are in very tenuous financial straits, and so I am just trying to do the most thorough job of research that i can.
    Oh, yes, thanks for the input on Greentech; talked to them at length yesterday and it seems that the cells come from all diff kinds of vehicles, though they do install sev'l per day. but i will stay away as cautioned.
    Thank you so much for any and all input!!

6. peripatetic pri

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello, again. Just realized I had a few more things to clarify -
    Bisco, I want to keep car as long as poss bc imposs to buy another now; also, low miles and i like it.
    Also forgot to menton that w/in last 1.5 yrs -- when i was having a coil replaced -- the dlr checked battery health (free) and it came up roses.
    Hence, Brian, what is Techstream? I've asked all the dlr mechanics and they've all said that nothing I did re maintenance would have affected the health of the battery, but that assertion seems to be belied by your having reconditioned and balanced the cells of your battery? How does 1 do that?
    Thanks!

SFO likes this.
  7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer battery with new cells has a 3 year warranty if they install it. 1 year warranty if you install it yourself.

It is not an 8 year warranty.

The Toyota pack does not come fully assembled. Sometimes it will be called a reconditioned or rebuilt part, since technically Toyota moves over some of the old parts from your existing battery pack into the replacement pack. (Computers, some plastic bits, etc)
    But it is New cells. And that is what is important.

Dorman sells packs with used cells and they recently reduced their warranty on their used batteries from 3 years to 1 year.

If you plan to keep this car then you will want to consider purchasing some sort of tools for monitoring your car as well as reading and clearing error codes.

For now, if you need the car to be reliable and last for a long time, a new battery would be the best long term option.

8. peripatetic pri

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you, EricBecky! Just another thought: Bumblebee batteries? Recomm by a place I talked to in Houston -- only 1 place in my area (and a big jog away) installs and I haven't talked to them yet-they are refurbed and seem to have good reviews - thoughts?
    Also, has anyone seen a check hybrid engine light come on that was just a 1-off?
    And, EricBecky, would be great to get a code reader, but I thought that they were 1,000s of dollars to get one specific enough for prius? thanks!

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cost you less than $100
    VX Diag Nano. Shipped from Asia.
    Eli and his workers at Bumblebee are reputable folks.
    Very honest and trustworthy.
    I'm more familiar with their Honda hybrid products, but I would trust them for any hybrid work.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. peripatetic pri

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks,EricBecky, but I think she said $1500. What is VX Diag Nano? - Oh, just realized this is probably the reader you were mentioning - is it the quality they have at the auto stores or the next level up or the quality the toyota dlrs have? Thanks!

Does everyone know about Bumblebee? Are there others in this forum who have used their batteries?

The reviews were 95% from Honda hybrid owners, and I will have to drive quite a distance to the one shop that installs. thanks!

#10 peripatetic pri, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  11. peripatetic pri

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks so much again. If I get the error msg on again, I would also have to have the car towed via ferry bc the 1 shop that installs is on on island. It also seems to be an issue to get the batteries from point a to point b bc of their heavy size. And as I remember the warranty was just 1 yr.

But if others have used them successfully in priuses, that would be good to know!