1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HI. Burned a hole and i'm addicted to nicotine.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nancy Botwin, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Nancy Botwin

Nancy Botwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I made the tragic error of burning a hole in my 2010 prius 2, blizzard white.. how the heck do I fix the hole in the backseat? any reasonable options? I promise never to pollute the air again.

and #2.. what do we think about powder coating.. i think black powder coat would look sick on a white prius? anybody have experience with this process?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: HI. my name is donkey and i'm addicted to nicotine.

you can get a vinyl repair kit on the home shopping channel and powder coating is okay but i have had it flake off.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Put an iron-on daisy over the hole?

Or, more seriously consider Clazzio leather seat covers over your stock upholstery. Or, if you don't want to go that radical...the factory seat covers are outrageously expensive, but quite a few people take them off and install leather upholstery, so good used ones are available.

I have seen entire sets of nearly new factory take-offs for around $100 on ebay. I think your best fix would be to get a good set of take-offs and have an upholstry shop change the upholstery on that cushion for you.

If you are interested, I have a set of like new (3,000 well cared for miles) factory take-offs from my 2010 II that I would sell you for less than that. If interested, PM me and we can figure out if mine are the right color. My 2010 II is silver but I don't know what the upholstery color is called.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

+1

Like xs650 said, get an OEM set off of eBay for around $99 (Buy It Now price) or less. That's what I did for my Gen II (I think I paid $65). I bought mine off this guy who I see has 4 sets of the Gen III available now in both colors:

goodstuffcheap04 | eBay

OR better yet, buy xs650's set if it's the right color.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I recommend Nicotine Patches....coupled with self discipline....

Once you've graduated to a size of Nicotine Patch that covers the hole? Use it to patch The Prius....

eliteconcept likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

glue a cigarette butt into it to remind yourself everytime you have the urge to light up.

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, let me see if I get this. You drive a Prius and therefore are not polluting as much as other drivers, but make up for it by polluting your lungs with cigarettes, releasing second hand smoke to your passengers or family members?. Since this is your first post, members in this forum will be easy on you and welcome to PriuChat.

eliteconcept likes this.
  8. Spcalan1

Spcalan1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would think the smell is going to be harder to get rid of than the hole...
    ( quit smoking for your own health )...

eliteconcept likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

It took 4-5 years for the garage at my mom's house to air out after my dad smoked it there and finally quit. And that's just a garage with nothing really "absorbent" in it.

I don't even bother looking at cars, houses, or even people that smell of smoke. I think many (non-smoking) consumers feel the same way.

10. babybird

babybird Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe not as hard as one might think. I bought my last car in spite of it having been a smoker's car because the year and price were right. Zero down and 3.5 year loan and even having used it to deliver pizza for 3 years it only just lost enough value to be worth less than I paid almost 5 years and 85,000 miles ago.

An ash tray filled with baking soda (caveat emptor: it can be a risk if you're likely to be pulled over) left open every night when not driving it for a couple months was all it took. No one who's been in it since then believes it was a smoker's car before I bought it.

There are a couple of slightly more involved methods for more serious cases if that isn't adequate too. They really are effective. A couple of ozone treatments for example (while not inside the vehicle obviously) also work wonders for ridding a car interior of foul odors.

1 person likes this.
  11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Some people (like my family) are extremely sensitive to smoke. Freshly cleaned clothes of a smoker smell like smoke and flowers, and things like that. You can get most of it out with simple treatments like baking soda and odour bombs, but almost impossible to get it all out.

12. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In regard to your nicotine addiction, try "CHANTIX."
    I was a 45-year-long smoker. I tried to quit every couple of years using one method or another. The CHANTIX finally did it for me.

BTW, my lungs are OK, but the nicotine screwed up my vascular system. Last winter, I had to go in for repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm. That is a hidden killer.

Sorry. Let me get down off my horse.:blush:

13. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You are not the first to do this.Call your dealer,they hire people to fix problems like we created and don't charge much for the repair.Been there,done that.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me straighten my soap box.

Okay, I'll climb up.- I've never smoked. Never wanted to. But part of that reason, is because I grew up in a family where almost all the adults did smoke.

Even as a young child I remember observing that it wasn't pretty. Parties and get togethers became clouded, smoke filled occasions. With the advent of smoke alarms, I literally remember removing batteries before people arrived to avoid the inevitable false alarm being triggered by Aunts, Uncles and others who would all light up.

I don't like to preach. But allow me just a little. While I respect peoples freedom to make whatever decision they wish? Most of these same Aunts and Uncles did have shortened lives...some specifically tied to conditions exacerbated by life-long smoking habits.

These were people "young" in the 40's and 50's...when smoking was considered glamorous. They read ad's printed at the time proclaiming smoking actually a health benefit. Even as their voices became rough, even as persistent coughing became part of the norm for their everyday existence...many of them refused to aknowledge the damage smoking was doing to them.

Most of them are gone. Enough preaching? As a child, adolescent, I breathed a life time's worth of second hand smoke. I can only hope the genetic resiliency of youth has allowed me to recover.

It's not the smell, it's not the burning of holes in upholestry. It's not the grime of ash, or the stain of nicotine....it's an addiction and a habit that slowly creates a debt. When it comes to collect? It can be devastating.

I've preached enough. Down from the soap box.

But despite the sarcasm in this thread? I'd sincerely hope the OP does consider breaking this addiction. In my opinion, it's worth it on many, many levels.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey! who edited the thread title?

16. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Sure you weren't smokin a bowl??I like black!

17. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    in case you're wondering

www.parts.com

$301.01 for the cover in cloth

$553.99 for leather

18. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Nancy Botwin from Agrestic,

With Marvin's blood in the back seat it might be better to replace the entire cover.

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. And that's just for the rear SEAT cover.

$99 for the OEM rear seat cover, rear seat back cover, driver seat cover, driver seat back cover, passenger seat cover and passenger seat back cover from that eBay seller I linked sure sounds good.

20. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't repair any burned holes yet. As long as you smoke, you will continue to create burns, either on the seats or the carpets. Fixing one now may not be very satisfying if next month you find another.

Quit smoking first. Once you've quit for at least two months, then you can go about the repair of burns and cigarette smells.

Vic