1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hi can somebody help me why is this hanging low

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny5634, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Danny5634

Danny5634 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi I have 2009 Prius why is this pipe hanging low

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Looks like somebody may have been prying down on it to get ready to take your converter out maybe I'd have to be under the car to see but you could take a jack and sit it under that pipe and jacket up or does it push up by hand to where it's supposed to be? If so some of the rubber hangers may be compromised you'll literally have to wheel the car up on ramps or back it up on ramps and have a look is the quickest way they do hang a little low factory and when I had my converter replaced I had the muffler guy put the jack on the pipe and push it on up there and bend and make everything fit like that and stay that way.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's quite common for that pipe to hang low after the catalytic converter is replaced. Something about that job makes this happen. But in your part of the country I'm willing to bet all that road salt/corrosion may have caused this just upstream at the bend from where the muffler pipe bolts on. It's usually the first spot the exhaust system fails and you don't have a photo of that spot.

4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It happens as the car ages..its normal. Both of mine hang lower from all the years and snow in the winter heat in the summer. As long as you don't start scraping over speed bumps you should be good.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Option A, one of the "hangers" that supports the exhaust system has failed. Option B, maybe you backed into something and bumped the muffler- which tweaked the system. Option C, that's a replacement mid pipe and it's a bit loose at the catalytic converter and the system has "swiveled" down.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Danny5634

Danny5634 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I have a update went to meineke and pipe rotted off where it meets the muffler and there prices where insane so called around couple local independent shops and my old mechanic who is on the mass Rhode island border and the local ones put it on lift and both said it needs new muffler mide pipe and resonator will post the quotes my old mechanic looking at pictures concurred with them will post the pictures of muffler and pipe and of the quotes

7. Danny5634

Danny5634 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Here's the photos

Attached Files:

8. Danny5634

Danny5634 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius