1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hi from Europe

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Maxwell61, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all from Italy,

Here in Europe we're still waiting for the 16th of june to order the New Yaris HSD that, as you may know, take the place of Prius C /Aqua not scheduled for European sales.

So, in that long meantime, i'm collecting infos on Prius C (having the same mill) performances, FE and tech details here on Priuschat, to pass on our favorite IT forums :D Thanks guys for the precious data already collected!

A couple of questions will follow, in the relevant thread, hoping for some kind reply.

Cheers!
    Maxwell

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Maxwell and welcom to PC :welcome:

You'll get a kind reply here that's for sure.

What sort of info were you looking for with the Prius C?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  4. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Grumpy mate ;)

At this stage i'm trying to identify software and engine settings differences relative to Prius III.
    I've read with interest some few comments reported by Ken from the jap Aqua forum about warm-up stages and some interesting comment of Xcel of CleanMPG forum about SHM (and highway hypermiling) on Prius C. That sort of thing...

In particular at the moment i'm looking for:

- a new guide about the engine 4 stages & relative car behaviour
    - the max speed allowed in Neutral to avoid MG2 overrevving. That one should be written on the user manual. I guess it would be better to open a thread for this, is'nt it?

BTW: Spent 3 yrs in your beloved country Grumpy, i luv it ;)

Max

Edit: Ciao Tony!

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That explains the fabulous English you speak. Where in Blighty did you stay? I've family over near Naples/Vesuvius, though I'm defo a pom and can't speak Italian.

Your signature says you're into a CNG Prius. Is that natural gas as in the stuff my home heating system runs off or is it more LPG that is sold at filling stations around Europe?

I know CNG cars are rare as hens teeth over here but a good number of cars are converted to run on lpg and there have been some posts on this forum about converting a Prius to lpg (some bloke in Romania).

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...oyota-prius-2nd-gen-converted-lpg-hybrid.html

1 person likes this.
  6. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the "fab" Grumpy, i wish it was for real! :D

My happy UK experience was in the green Devon, Torquay & neighborhood. And oddly enough i born in Naples and my parents are still there! :)

About CNG:
    No, Natural gas CNG is not LPG that is liquified petrol, that comes from oil and is a sort of waste of the oil refinement. And yes, CNG is tipically used for home heating.

My interest on CNG comes from the happy (relatively) situation that Italy & Germany enjoys about CNG distribution network: we have some 700/800 CNG stations each. And a mile using CNG costs about 35% of the same mile using gasoline. A lot cheaper than diesel too.

In actual fact US is having the same cheap price for CNG and a huge problem of storing it because overproduction. But for the time beeing US powers seems not really willing yet to allow a widespread distribution network for car refuelling.

I guess ther's also some strategic decision on the background: US have so much Natural gas that can be energy indipendent tomorrow, i think they are waiting for oil market collapse and stand out as the only country without an energetic problem. My theory :)

Here in Italy we have also an entire lineup of factory CNG cars produced by that american company, FIAT, :D and some few Volswagen. Unfortunately for my taste they are not the most reliable car in market and some model such "B" class of my interest, is quite outdated, so i'm looking to keep loyal to Toyota choosing a Yaris Hybrid that for us compare barely, as fuel cost, with the Yaris diesel.

So i hope to retrofit it a day with LPG, more expensive than CNG, but less invasive as retrofit. But i already know there's some technical issue to sort out.... Unfortunately Toyota & Honda does'nt give us any model factory fitted with LPG or CNG.....

1 person likes this.
  7. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Maxwell

Toyota has LPG and CNG models in Japan but only the V12 Century and Crown Comfort taxi and driving school cars. Since Toyota Japan has hybrids of every shape and size (not including the Landcruiser) it probably doesn't see a commercial need for LPG/CNG for mainstream vehicles.
    There are also LPG and CNG trucks and light commercial vehicles. (Source Japanese Motor Vehicles Guidebook Vol.58 2011-2012)

There's some interesting developments in LPG Injection in Australia. The Ford Falcon LPG used to drink about 60% more than the petrol model and produced about 25% less power and torque than the petrol engine. The new "EcoLPi" LPG engine drinks only 25% more but produces 198kW and 409Nm compared to 195kW and 391Nm for the petrol!
    Ford Australia - Ford Falcon & G Series MkII Specifications & Options

LPG sells for about 55% of the price of ULP 91 RON. Every taxi except for the small number of Prius and Skoda Superbs in Australia is LPG. You could get a $1000 or $2000 rebate for fitting LPG to a new or existing car.
    CNG is used in some buses, but not cars because LPG is easier to get.

1 person likes this.
  8. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Braddles,

Thanks for the link to the Ford Falcon, i did'nt knew the existence of this car.
    Yes, i was aware of the Toyota production of LPG and CNG cars (although in few models) in japan, and this make things even more sad for some few country like Italy where LPG filling station are nearly ubiquitous and CNG stations are quite widespread. In actual fact we have a rich retrofitting market since the 70's and so a very large experience on retrofittind cars.

With the actual sophisticated injection system, an LPG conversion does'nt affect at all performances and fuel consumption increases in the vicinity of 18-20%. But of course the price of the fuel is so cheap that you can realize (in EU) a saving of about 45-50% with LPG and 65% with CNG. Which is a huge lot.

Our current conversion price are about 1300-1400 EUR for LPG and 2000-2400 for CNG, which is not a lot. Same price differential for the (few) factory fitted cars.

Actually we got on sale factory Fiat CNG (Panda, Qubo, Punto, Doblò, soon the new 500L & 500X, that will be also US bound) using 1.4 lt. engines, both naturally aspirated and turbo, and by the end of the year with the 2 cylinders 900cc Turbo 85 & 105Hp "Twinair".
    Then there are CNG Passats with the 1.4 turbo 140hp, Mercedes "B class", Opel Zafira 150hp, quite expensives, and the new 1.0lt diminuitive Volskwagen UP!.

Factory LPG cars are some few more, but it depends on the years where economic incentives are given by countries or not.

For the Prius, you can read here the results of few LPG conversion that are becoming increasing popular in EU, even if are still very few.

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/439-Prius.html?fueltype=3&power_s=77&powerunit=2

Average = 40 MPG on LPG on Prius 2&3

Quite a few Prius gen II & III taxi have been converted, i'm trying to collect info on durability. Main only problem with the jap cars on LPG or CNG are the wearing of the seats of the valves, cause a very tender aluminium for the heads. That comes from the increased temperatures of the combustion.