1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hi,I have problem with my Prius 2005 engine light coming on also a DTC P0606.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius 2021, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Prius 2021

Prius 2021 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, I have Prius 2005 with check engine light coming on also DTC P0606, ECU/PCM, I use my diagnostics tool to reset it but after 1km the engine light came back on, i changed the exhaust system, also the sparks plug, and check the fuel sensor 1 - Air fuel & sensor 2- "O2" all good, a Auto Electrician said my ECU needs to be programmed after using his diagnostics system and it will cost $400 with no guarantee that it might not come back on!, he said talk to Toyota Dealer and fix it with them.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The diagnostic for this fault is pretty simple.

According to the repair manual, if you have either a P0604, P0606, P0607, or P0657 and no other DTCs then you need to replace the ECM (engine control module).

MONITOR DESCRIPTION

The ECM continuously monitors its internal memory status, internal circuits, and output signals to the throttle actuator. This self-check ensures that the ECM is functioning properly. If any malfunction is detected, the ECM will set the appropriate DTC and illuminate the MIL.

The ECM memory status is diagnosed by internal "mirroring" of the main CPU and the sub CPU to detect random access memory (RAM) errors. The two CPUs also perform continuous mutual monitoring. The ECM sets a DTC if:
    1. Output from the 2 CPUs are different and deviate from the standards,
    2. The signals to the throttle actuator deviate from the standards,
    3. Malfunction is found in the throttle actuator supply voltage, and
    4. Any other ECM malfunction is found.

SFO likes this.