1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hi Iam new and getting ready to buy a prius...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sandman, Mar 3, 2008.

1. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Iam getting ready to buy a prius and have some questions for you guys. Here is some info to keep in mind I am most concerned about MPG and commute 85 miles one way to work (15 miles back roads and 70 miles Interstate)

1. They list three models what are the differences in style and mpg. I have read that the base model gets the best mpg didnt know if it was a myth or fact..
    Here are the model numbers and price differences:

1220 base price
    1224 + $821.00
    1226 + $1,546.00

2. What do you think my average mpg will be on my commute of 170 miles a day?

3. If the batteries die much later can the pruis be modded to just use the gas motor?

I am sure i have many more questions but that should get the ball rolling..Thanks for any help...

2. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Those numbers and prices are probably employee numbers and prices, so hard to compare, I would assume the last number with the $1546 might be a Touring version, but not sure. As for the batteries, they have a 8 year/100,000mi warranty, so wearing out soon, shouldn't be a problem.

As far as mileage, all models of the Prius have the same EPA mileage.

3. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey there! Welcome to PC.

While I do not recognize those model numbers, I assume you're talking about a Prius.

1. Indications from previous posts suggest that mpg differences among models are negligible.

2. It's hard to say what your mileage would be without knowing your driving habits. If it was me making that trip, the mileage would depend on the average Interstate speed. 80mph=35mpg. 70mph=45mpg. 60mph=50+mpg. Of course, your mileage may vary.

3. That might be possible with some serious computer modifications. And I mean serious serious modifications. And then you'd be left with an extremely underpowered car since the gas motor is not very potent. The car relies on the electric motors to assist the gas motor when needed.

Hope this helps.:)

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Welcome now to PriusChat and in advance to Prius-dom! Your questions answered as best I can (a little redundant with Patrick's response, but he posted his between the time I started this and when I finished):

1) I'm not sure what those differences are, but there shouldn't be any difference in fuel economy unless one of those is the Touring model, which has a wider tire that might hurt FE a bit.

2) Hard to say, depends on lots of things, especially speed. You could go 55 MPH or you could go 75, with a considerable difference in FE between the two. It's pretty hilly through there, isn't it? With careful attention to driving technique and speed, especially keeping engine RPM out of inefficiently high ranges (by, for example, avoiding cruise control on steep hills), you might be able to squeeze 55-60 MPG out of it in the summer.

3) Not that I know of. The electrical side of the Prius propulsion system is totally integrated with the engine and is needed to run it. You probably wouldn't want to anyway; the relatively small 1.5L engine won't provide much power for acceleration on its own.

5. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OKay the 1226 has a TRN by it so it being the highest priced it has to be the touring model, the 1220 has Stan by it and it is the cheapest not sure on the 1224..I would never do away with the batteries just a question we where shooting around at work..Anything 50mpg or better would be GREAT!!

Code:
    It's pretty hilly through there, isn't it? 
    Its not that bad I do have about 20 mile stretch of interstate that is quite hilly..

Thanks for the quick reply's:)

6. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm leaning towards getting the 1220 with no packages just the standard package($0) in barcelona red ..The only bad part is I'm trading my 4x4 tacoma on it cause I cant really afford two car payments .. I love my truck but with gas as high as it is I have to do something..

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1. No. They are all the same car. Tires, terrain, climate, and driving habit make the difference. What option packages come with the models listed above?

2. Anywhere from mid 40's to mid 50's depending on the conditions noted above.

3. No. Traction batteries can last for 200,000+ miles so it shouldn't be an issue.