1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hi!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicHybrid, Dec 23, 2006.

1. CivicHybrid

CivicHybrid New Member

Hi I am a proud new owner of a new Alabaster Silver Metallic Honda Civic hybrid. It took a while to get one but it was worth the wait, at least I feel so far anyway.
    I am interested to see how other hybrid car owners experiences compare to mine, so I decided to join here, and perhaps share some of mine as well. B)
    Did any of you guys look at the Civic hybrid?
    Why did you buy a Prius instead?

2. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congratulations on your purchase. I purchased my Prius in September, 2006. The Civic Hybrid wasn't available yet in this area at that time. But, I absolutely love the Prius.

3. tashome

tashome Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CivicHybrid @ Dec 23 2006, 10:08 PM) [snapback]366165[/snapback]</div>
    I had a 2003 Civic hybrid. Gave it to my daughter and bought a 2004 Prius. Got the Prius for the Navi and stability control, which were not available in the Civic. More interior space didn't hurt. Overall, I was happy with the Civic. The drive-train in the Civic seemed smoother and quieter.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We test drove the Civic but decided to go with the Prius for a number of small reasons that add up mostly to personal preference. In no particular order, they are:

1) Large cargo capacity of the Prius with fold-down back seats and hatchback.

2) Prius full hybrid system as compared to the Civic's soft hybrid system.

3) Gee whiz gadgets and technical features on the Prius.

4) VSC and side curtain airbags.

5) Distinct hybrid styling while the Civic looks like any other Civic.

6) Preferred the interior of the Prius - note that this is strictly personal taste.

7) Better gas mileage with the Prius.

8) Toyota has the most experience with hybrid drive systems.

We have owned Hondas before, and they make a really good car. I would never hesitate to buy a Honda. On the other hand, this was our first Toyota; a test drive and the Prius reputation won us over.

Welcome to PriusChat. I hope you will stay and contribute your perspective.

Tom

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CivicHybrid @ Dec 23 2006, 07:08 PM) [snapback]366165[/snapback]</div>
    I went back and forth on trying to decide between the Civic Hybrid and Prius when I was looking at them during the summer of '05.

I had two primary reasons I went for the Prius over the Civid Hybrid.

Probably the most important was the space in the Prius. When I looked at the Insight several years ago, its lack of space turned me away from it altogether. Although the Civic is a big improvement over the Insight, it still doesn't give nearly the space of the Prius.

The other thing I looked at was city/highway mileage. I decided that in terms of being a hybird, the Prius acted more like one than the Civic. The implication of the better city mileage in the Prius made me think it had a better battery pack, and/or was acting more like a hybrid should act from my point of view. Actually, with the kind of city driving I do, the Civic may have turned out to be better, but overall I'm not the least bit sorry that I picked the Prius.

In any case, getting either car is a vast improvment over anything else (unless you're talking EV), and my problem with that is that I do take trips in excess of 400 miles per day on some days.

Dave M.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At the time I bought my Prius in April, 2005 the Prius got better mileage and lower emissions than the Honda Hybrids. The only comparable Honda was the Insight, but the Prius had way more cargo and passenger room than the Insight for the same mileage. I also liked the styling of the Prius and definately wanted an automatic. I'm too old for a manual. (back problems.) After I test drove the Prius I was sold by the smooth transmission and power. I also like the HSD compared to Honda's hybrid system.

I never did test drive any of the Hondas.

7. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congrats on getting a wonderful car!

We weren't in the market for ANY car since our '91 Camry was still going strong with over 200,000 miles. We had reluctantly sold my mom's car (an '85 Civic wagon) because she didn't drive anymore. It was quite basic, but what she loved most about it were the high seats (easy to get in after her knee replacements) and the hatchback/wagon capability.

One of my sisters had mentioned that she was interested in a Prius, and this was in late summer 2004--around the time the hatchback version came out. Just for the heck of it, my mom and I visited a dealer to see what kind of car my sister was going to get. Well, the moment we sat down in it, we were hooked!!!! It was SO easy for my mom to get in and out of it, and the back seat legroom was enormous! The hatchback and folding rear seats were icing on the cake. We figured it combined the best of the Camry (large inside) and the Civic wagon (easy access, hatchback), and made the decision to sell the Camry and get a Prius.

With my mom's needs to consider, and the fact that there's a lot more cargo room in the Prius, the Civic was not an option, so we didn't even look at one. We've owned two Hondas, and I have the highest regard for the cars, but the Prius had absolutely everything we wanted (and the Smart Key and stability control are now on my list of must-haves for any future car!). Two of my good friends absolutely love their Civic hybrids, so have fun with your car!

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I did not actually look at the Civic hybrid because no dealership in Fargo, ND had one on the lot. But I did consider it seriously because I loved my old '89 Civic wagon, and I liked Honda more than Toyota as companies. Honda seems much more customer-friendly.

I picked the Prius instead because:

1. It's a lift-back, which is almost a station wagon, whereas the Civic was no longer available as a wagon. I want the flexibility. I don't like the sedan body type. On numerous occasions I have hauled things that would not have fit into any sedan. Most recently I had to return a very large package, which I was in a hurry to ship, so I could get it back sooner. The Prius saved me a whole weekend. With the Civic I'd have had to rent a pickup truck or a small trailer.

2. The Prius is a "full" hybrid, designed from the ground up as a hybrid, and is capable of moving on electric power without starting up the gas engine, whereas the Civic hybrid merely adds electric assist to a conventional engine and drive train. I was annoyed by the way auto-stop works on the Civic (at least at that time): If you inch forward in line at a stop light, the engine must start, and then will not stop again until after you've reached some speed like, I think, 15 mph. The Prius can creep forward without ever starting the engine. While this may not translate into a big difference in fuel economy, the geek factor appealed to me, and the Civic auto-stop system annoyed me.

Along the same line, the drive train of the Prius (which allows the above behavior) is an entirely new concept, which has eliminated the need for a clutch or transmission. The geek factor of this was irresistable. The Honda CVT worried me: the cone-and-belt system seemed unreliable, compared to the all-gear, always-engaged PSD of the Prius.

3. VSC.

The HCH is an excellent car, but for the above reasons, the Prius appealed more to me. Enough so to induce me to abandon my prefered car company for one I didn't like as much. Three years later I am still delighted with my choice, as I am sure you will be with yours. Happy driving, and drive safely.

I'd be interested to hear what factors led you to choose the Civic.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CivicHybrid @ Dec 23 2006, 07:08 PM) [snapback]366165[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to our site. I have always liked both Hondas and Toyotas and have owned both. When I bought the Prius I didn't know very much about hybrid cars and the decision to buy a Prius was mostly influenced by dealers and salesmen as well as availability. I don't regret my decision, the Prius is a technical marvel and I have a lot of fun with it. When I get ready to buy again I'll look at all the hybrids that are available and may end up with a Honda, or another Prius, or something else.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    CivicHybrid and welcome to Priuschat! I don't think I see enough HCHs (Honda Civic Hybrids) on the road. Unless, of course, I really do but can't tell them apart from their "traditional" siblings.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a "pissing contest" in which Prius owners attempt to explain why their car is better than yours. But since you asked specifically for reasons, I'll provide my main reason. By the way, when I was at Hybridfest there were hybrids of all makes and models for showing. I got the "why did you choose the Prius?" question alot. Here is my stock answer and it has nothing to do with being a hybrid.

In 2004, when I was looking to purchase a new car, I was not in the market for a hybrid. Rather, I focussed on all the regular things: crash test ratings, options, seating, fuel efficiency, cost, all that. What really won me over to the Prius was that I like to haul things. Sometimes relatively big things. I have friends with trucks for the really really big things. Likewise, if I'm shopping at Menards or Home Depot and buy something huge, I just rent a flatbed. A case of beer and topping of my friends' truck is cheaper than buying a truck. The same goes for renting the flatbed.

But as for the Prius, this is why I bought it. 8 feet from hatch to dash. ten feet if you can bend something into the foot well. And I can still seat one passenger.

Attached Files:

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats! The Prius was actually my second choice. The Insight was first; unfortunately, my local Honda dealer didn't have any and wouldn't be getting any more in. If I were shopping today, the Civic hybrid would be my second choice.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey!

Congrats on your new HCH!

We have a few HCH owners here but they haven't returned to post...

Do share your experiences here. We'd love to hear from you!

I didn't look at the Civic Hybrid because it was the first generation model when I was looking for a car and for Cdn$2k more, I could get a base Prius with more features.

I bought the Prius for the following reasons (in no particular order):

- fuel efficiency
    - lower emissions
    - gadgets like SKS
    - safety features like TRAC, VSC, ABS w/EBD, BA and 6 airbags
    - hatchback design with (nearly) fold flat rear seats
    - spacious interior

13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

My reason for buying a 5-speed Insight is very simple - it was the only choice in Sept 2000! At 113,000 miles, I'm probably at least five years from needing a new car, but it's never too early to find out how other hybrids work.

In May 2005 I was driving on Hwy101 in Oregon and N California. Apparently even the hybrid Civic is cleaner than the Insight - did not see a single Insight. :(

14. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations on your Hybrid. We are all doing our part to reduce oil demand and save the atmosphere. Actually I didn't look at any other hybrid. I just didn't consider it at all. But you know what? In the end, when the rubber hits the road, the only opinion that matters to you is yours. If you are happy then that is all that counts. :D Once again, congratulations and I hope you save many gallons.

15. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Tested the Honda Civic Hybrid. Thought it was underpowered. Didn't like the supporting role of the electric motor vs. the more active Prius. Price was not an issue. The wife wanted a Hyrid, I chose the Prius.

16. fathale

fathale Throbbing member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For me, I dont mind being a Hybrid dude, but I didnt want to be a CiviC dude. With the Toyota, you know its a hybrid, not just a 4 bangin' weenie car. With the civic, I look like just another dude in a 4 banger. I'm sure the Honda is nice. In general, I actually like Honda and Toyota about the same

17. gs1561

gs1561 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CivicHybrid @ Dec 23 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]366165[/snapback]</div>
    I did have a hard time deciding between the two. I drove both on the same day and thought the Prius ICE starting and stopping was less noticeable. I also could not live with the small Civic trunk with no fold down seats. I also commute in frequent crawling traffic and couldn't imagine the ICE on the Civic starting every time I let off the brake. Welcome to the Hybrid community. Either car is an excellent choice!

18. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Welcome aboard, Civic person...

I chose the Prius for its advanced technology and past experience with the quality and low maintenance requirements of two other Toyotas. Our 1996 Camry has 112,000 miles on the clock and has been a real jewel in all respects. We also had a 1998 Camry station wagon which we gave to our son with 140,000 miles and similar maintenance and performance history. My new 2007 Prius replaced my 2004 Prius which confirms my loyalty to the Toyota brand and Prius in particular.

I like the fact that the Prius ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) turns complelely OFF at traffic stops and never even starts until you pass 15 MPH, also liked the hatchback design and the generous passenger and cargo space.

The Civic is an excellent vehicle with a reputation similar to the Toyotas for low maintenance costs and reliability. You've got a good car, too.

19. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We had a honda, we had a nissan, and we figured we might as well complete the trifecta.

20. CivicHybrid

CivicHybrid New Member

LOL pretty much everybody agrees American cars are not reliable, huh?