1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hibrid System Indicator display

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Gen 2 Tom, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can anyone explain what are the functions of the different color indicators are on the hybrid, multi information display. The explanation is not very clear in the manual. Here's what I believe the are.

The light blue appears to be the electric motor load. Maybe motor current, forward and regenerative power into the batteries, when it goes below the Eco line.

The ECO symbol goes green at times. I assume it's when your running electric only. I think you need to be at low load, but not sure about that. I run in normal mode

The dark blue indicator? I don't know what is moving this indicator.

I didn't have this in my old gen 2. We all knew how to drive and get the best mileage. So please enlighten me.

Thanks Tom

2. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    IMG_20160523_200010~2.jpg
    The light blue line moves up as you accelerate. Normally you keep it in the large central section labelled "eco" for best efficiency. When you are regenerating battery it will dip below into the very bottom section labelled "chg" (for charge). If you are accelerating hard it will jump into "pwr" for power, although mpg is hit most here of course.

The dark blue line is the suggested range to keep within for best efficiency. It changes as you drive to show where you should try to keep the engine within.

The little green "ev" car lights up when it is running only on electric (electric vehicle).

The very middle line in the eco section is the line over which the petrol engine will cut in. If you dip back below about a quarter of the way up it will usually switch back to ev only, depending on speed and battery charge.

Hope that helps!

grape808, ShenmueTacos and rcaine like this.
  3. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Colin, the big blue line was the confusing one.

I love the report card when you shut down. My grades have been great. But today I got hell for having the temp set to low. It didn't make a lot of sense because the air was off. It was real cool today, so maybe I should have had the windows open and the fan off. Could it be that smart?

4. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    I think for best efficiency of temperature, you need to make sure it's set to "ECO" mode (you do that by pressing the Auto button, until "ECO" indicator comes on on the LCD display next to the seat icon), and also make sure you have the "Driver Priority" button switched on. This directs air only to the front seats, and only to the drivers seat if there's only you there once the temperature is correct - it uses the seat sensors to tell if there's anyone in the passenger seat.

That should certainly get you the highest score possible - may be different depending on the temperature, but I get four bars with those setting - but then we don't have much hot weather here!

5. hybridhead

hybridhead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Colin, when you say "dark blue line" do you mean the blue that is behind and just taller than the turquoise bar?

Attached Files: