1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID aftermarket

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by fazzybill, Feb 1, 2014.

1. fazzybill

fazzybill New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    How do you adjust aftermarket HID with projector style lamps. The left headlight seems dull and way to the right not on road.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's very possible that you don't have the bulb properly seated in it's mount. Recheck it.

SCH-I535

3. fazzybill

fazzybill New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks. I did not install them. I'm not much of a mechanic. Is it easy?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very. But you can always take it back to the person who did the installation.

SCH-I535

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Depends... were you any good at inserting the square block into the square hole?
    [​IMG]
    It really is that easy. The hard part is just don't touch the bulb.

Mo G likes this.
  6. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If you are worried about touching the bulb, you can wear latex gloves. If you do not have latex gloves and you touch the bulb, wipe the bulb with an alcohol pad.

ztanos likes this.
  7. c4

c4 Active Member

There is no adjustment on the headlight fixture other than up/down; if the beam is not centred, chances are, as others have pointed out, that the bulb was not inserted properly into the socket.. They are simple to remove and replace- follow the wires and reach in, grasp the base of the bulb and give it a counter-clockwise twist until it unlocks then pull straight back to remove the bulb.. Inspect for damage (particularly the plastic mounting flanges around the base- get a small file and an X-acto knife and trim any damaged plastic); ensure that the orange rubber gasket is correctly seated around the base of the bulb: just about every bulb I've seen tends to have the gasket improperly seated and you must fix that before installation; then clean the bulb if necessary and re-insert into the headlight enclosure, and give a clockwise twist until it locks.

If the lights are still dim on the road, chances are that this is because the bulbs are not focused properly: most of the aftermarket H11 HID bulbs tend to place the discharge capsule just a few mm too far forward.. While this might not seem like a big deal, in a projector system, having the filament or arc right at the focal point of the lens is critical to getting the correct pattern and light distribution on the road- a few millimeters front or back will greatly affect the light pattern.. The correct pattern on a Prius C should be a nice crisp stair step, rising towards the passenger side.. If the pattern is not crisp or instead of a stairstep, you get cusps and curves that look more like a bracket { on it's side, chances are that the bulb is not properly focused (this is the case with the majority of photos I've seen posted).. If this is the case, you can either try to get new bulbs that line up (good luck with that- all the Chinese manufacturers seem to use the same plastic base which is the root of the issue) or fix the bulbs yourself.. I'm working on a tutorial on how to alter these bulbs yourself- it's been too cold outside the last little while to take photos, but I've posted the text description of the process a few times, and if you're reasonably mechanically inclined, you should be able to figure out the process..