1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Aim repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by onerpm, Jul 5, 2006.

1. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There have been some threads here about people having problems with their headlights aiming low and stuck there; not sure if that applies to halogen & HID, or just HID. Anyway, my HID's on my 2005 have been aiming way too low (on low beam) for a number of months. When I had the car in a few months back for something or other, at a dealership that I previously thought had a competent service dept. (Burnsville Toyota, MN), I complained about it. They told me the aim was fine...they tested it by comparing it to another Prius that was in for service (!!). Idiots.

Well I took it back to my selling dealer (Walser Toyota, Bloomington MN) this week for the steering shaft recall, and asked them to look at the aim. They replaced the levelling sensor that is located in the rear of the car. Haven't had a chance to check out any difference yet.

Other threads have noted that these seem to be a problem, can get corroded, are even easily removable and can be cleaned. I just wanted to note that my receipt said that they had installed an "improved" version of the sensor, so Toyota must have recognized that the old one had some design issue that was addressed.

FYI.

Rpm

2. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had the leveling sensor on my 05 replaced too and the lights still pointed to low. So I disconnected the actuator arm on the sensor and taped it in position so I had the lights pointing just where I want them. I rarely have anyone in the back seat or much luggage. So I don't need auto leveling. When I took it to inspection, they said the light height was perfect.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jul 5 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]281661[/snapback]</div>
    If one day you blind someone due to this selfish arrogance and cause them to crash, I hope that they sue you and end up owning everything that you have.

Go to a competent dealer who will fix the problem before someone is hurt.

5. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 5 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]281698[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, where did that come from? Anger management please!

6. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 5 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]281698[/snapback]</div>
    Be careful what you wish for others. It often comes back to you.

Also, try to read a little more carefully. Did you see the part that said the inspection people said the height was perfect. That means the lights don't shine in people's eyes. Prior to adjusting the lights myself, I took it back to my dealer twice. They said they couldn't adjust the lights higher, even though they were pointing 50 feet in front of the car, meaning I was over-driving them at 35 mph or more. I set them so they are below the windshields of other cars.

7. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jul 5 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]281716[/snapback]</div>
    I think this is ample indication your dealer is either incompetent or lazy. You would be advised to find a new service department, as headlight aiming isn't generally considered a "hard" repair, even on HIDs.

8. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 5 2006, 05:14 PM) [snapback]281698[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, did you have a bad day today? Do you need a hug?

Please keep in mind that very few cars have leveling lights...including a lot of Prius! De-activating the system, but still keeping the lights at the legal height should not be an issue.

9. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Jul 6 2006, 12:17 AM) [snapback]281808[/snapback]</div>
    The best Prius technician at Westboro MA Toyota worked on the headlight aiming. After replacing the leveling sensor, he told me he had adjusted them up as high as he could and that they were pointing at the right level according to his measure. However, when I drove, the black line of the HID lights was about 50 feet in front of the car, meaning they weren't lighting up the road in front of me. They weren't even hitting a car 3 lengths in front of me, whereas they should have at least gone as high as the license plate of that car.

So far the dealer has been great. So I didn't want to go elsewhere. When they said they couldn't do more, I said fine, I'll do it. I don't need leveling anyway. In 18 months, I've only had a person in my back seat twice, and that was a 35 lb boy. My 110 lb girlfriend in the front seat and two suitcases in the back do not raise the headlights. So I just taped the accurator arm in a position that aims the headlights just below the windshields of oncoming and leading cars. Now they work perfectly. They shine down the road, as they should, without blinding anyone. Of course, they might point in someone's eyes briefly if I'm cresting a hill. But all HID headlights do that. Leveling doesn't seem to work fast enough to stop that.

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IsrAmeriPrius-
    You need to stop drinking coffee........good God.

11. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    OK, I finally drove after dark last night, and my lights are perfect now that the sensor was replaced. By my eye, anyway.

Peace, everyone!

rpm