1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Auto leveling lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dfran1, Aug 31, 2006.

?
  1. HID lights still perfect from factory auto leveling still works

40.0%
  2. HID lights aimed too low, adjusted to normal but not auto leveling

40.0%
  3. HID lights aimed too High, adjusted to normal but not auto leveling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. HID lights aimed too Low or High, dealer replaced auto leveling sensor, warranty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. HID lights aimed too Low or High, dealer replaced ALS, I paid for it myself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. HID lights aimed too Low or High, I replaced auto leveling sensor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I need to click on something

20.0%
  1. dfran1

dfran1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My lights were aiming way too low, so low I had to use high beams to even see.
    So I did a search in this forum and so far I found out that the Auto Leveling sensor (near the rear axel) goes bad.
    So I took my 05 Prius in for the recall (intermediate shaft replacement) and the HID sensor to be replaced, I even printed out the location of the sensor so the dealer would not adjust the lights (I could do that for myself) but replace the sensor.
    My wife made an appointment on Monday Aug 21, 2006, and set it up for Friday Aug 25, 2006 to go in at 10 am. She dropped the car off Friday and gave the recall slip to the person at the counter, he gave her the impression that he never seen this recall before (I would have just drove away then), she then gave him the paperwork on the HID sensor and he was surprised to see that also.
    She called at 2:15 and the car was still not done but needed about 45 min. more. At this point she was not too happy that it was not done yet. She went in at 4:45pm. And the person at the counter gave her the keys and said it was all done and we ADJUSTED the LIGHTS and if they are still to low they will have to contact Toyota.

I put 120lbs.in the back and stood in the hatch only to find out the lights are not auto leveling at all (sensor has to be bad) and the dealer that hacked my car called and left a message saying that the recall was done and the lights were auto leveling but just needed adjusting (they were pointing DOWN I could only see about 10 feet in front of the car).

At this point I have a Case ID with Toyota and am waiting to get my car in at a different service center (I will never go back to that one again)
    I asked her why she didn’t ask for a slip, she said she didn’t think of it, all the other dealers just give you one. Anyway they are supposedly sending one. This is so fishy that I don’t think the recall was even done!!

Anyway this pole is to see how many other Prius’s have or have not had the HID problem
    Thanks to all who respond

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    someone here could probably recommend a good service center near you if you let us know whereabouts you are. trustworthy service centers are hard to find, that's for sure. :(

3. dfran1

dfran1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 31 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]312457[/snapback]</div>
    Southern Mass, Fall river area

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My low beams were fine. My high beams were not much brighter. As I don't do a lot of driving at night where I need high beams, it wasn't a big deal so I didn't complain. Last weekend, however, I was driving on back country roads at night and my high beams worked wonderfully! They were much brighter than they were in the past. B) The low beams haven't changed. I really don't have a point to this story, but it kind of related to the question.

5. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My HID were aimed pretty darned low so I had the dealer adjust them about 6 months ago. They were a bit better. Then about 3 weeks ago the red triangle dashboard light went on and the HID leveling error icon appeard on the MFD. I got the HID leveling sensor replaced and the lights are much better now. I don't think the sensor ever worked, but I have not tested it.

How sensitive is it supposed to be, and how fast does it respond?

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deh2k @ Sep 2 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]313302[/snapback]</div>
    It should adjust within a few seconds. I tested mine when I got my car and periodically since: Turn on headlights. open hatch. Sit in hatch area and watch lights adjust. Should not take more than 5 seconds or so.
    Then stand up and see them adjust back again.