1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Diagnostic Help Needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by miscrms, Feb 8, 2012.

1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi all,

I could use some help debugging my wife's HIDs on her '08. Got pulled over last week for a drivers headlight out. Assumed a bad bulb as that seems the most common culprit. Ordered the Philips D4R from amazon for $50 and swapped it out via the youtube "10 min" method. All seemed to go well, but after reassembling (and dissembling again and re-reassembling) it still won't fire.

I guess its possible the new bulb is bad, but I'm wondering what else I should check. Are there voltage points I can check for instance to see that the fuses, relays, ballast etc are functioning correctly? I'll probably try pulling the passenger side bulb and swapping it into the drivers side but I'm hoping there are some easy things to check first before I risk leaving her with no headlights :)

Only other thing I have noticed is the same drivers side headlight has had some significant condensation inside at times, though its currently dry. We hadn't noticed it going on and off or working intermittently as some others seem to have.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would check the ballast and wiring before buying bulbs. If you want, swap the bulbs to the drivers side and see if they fire up. Typically the ballast will die first before the HID bulbs and will kill them as well. How does the bulb look like? Should be pretty clear.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Try the bulb swap both ways. Put the old bulb in the passenger side, and the passenger side bulb in the driver side. That should be definitive of bulb vs. ballast/etc.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think many folks here w/06-09 Priuses w/HIDs would disagree with you on that, including me.

5. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    /\/\ Like I said, typically and I know that it may not be on all cars. ;)

6. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you are a regular reader, you would realize that the ballasts are RARELY the problem.