1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID flare up?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Warwind, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is it normal for HID headlights to "flare up" briefly upon first turning them on?

Mine come on really brightly (the color is different too), then they immediately dim down to normal intensity and color right after I turn them on. Just wanted to make sure this was normal, and they're not (I don't know) initially getting too much power or something.

I did search the forum, but didn't see any other posts mentioning this effect, though I did learn some interesting things about them I didn't know.

Thanks!

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It's normal. I don't remember the specific details, but lights like these need a very high initial voltage to get them to light immediately. If they didn't have that they would take some time (a few seconds?) to get up to desired brightness. FWIW it's more noticable on my Audi.

3. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Jeff.

Is there any part of this car that doesn't incorporate some cool type of technology? B)

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's normal. Discharge lights use a high voltage to strike, then drop the voltage as the discharge stabilizes. Think of it as being sort of like fluorescent lights flickering when they start.

Tom

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Nov 2 2006, 06:15 PM) [snapback]342933[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. All interior lighting is incandescent and barely adequate. What's with those door lights? The tail lights are 5W incandescent. In bad weather, you are damn-near invisible to the folks behind you.

Yes, lots of neat goodies, but unfortunately there is still plenty of tired technology as well. A gasoline ICE is yet another example.

And finally... to the point of the thread - yup, totally normal as the HID "strike" gives you that spike. What you don't want to do is restrike before the lamps are allowed to cool.

6. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Nov 2 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]342895[/snapback]</div>
    YES - the lights on my TT act almost like flashbulbs when they first come on!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Nov 2 2006, 06:19 PM) [snapback]342964[/snapback]</div>
    btw Darell, I have another idea for an LED project lol... since you kinda took up the "challenge" of my licence plate light idea.

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 2 2006, 11:02 PM) [snapback]343048[/snapback]</div>
    Probably shouldn't ruin the thread more than I already have... but I guess we've already answered the question. Whatcha got? Better email me in case I forget to check back here.