1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Headlight Issues 2005 "Pink Eye"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by OakdaleMike, Nov 4, 2011.

1. OakdaleMike

OakdaleMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 2005 Prius recently came down with a case of HID Headlight Pink Eye. My left headlight goes on bright white and in a few seconds turns to a pretty purple color light. Not as bright as the white light and real pink/purple color light. So does anyone know if this is a bulb or ballast or control logic or what?
    Thanks...

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd start w/the bulb first (keeping the potentially bad bulb) since it's the cheapest.

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on your car? Do you use them as daytime running lights?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many hours do you have on the bulbs? Or how many miles do you have on the car? When HID bulbs starts to fail they color shift to a bluer or pink color depending on the materials used in their creation. You can eliminate all other variables by simply swapping the offending bulb with the good bulb.

1 person likes this.
  4. OakdaleMike

OakdaleMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have 148,000 on the car now.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bulbs. Time to change them both.

Tom

7. OakdaleMike

OakdaleMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok - here is an update. After about a week, the light started to flicker and then it would just go out. So I ordered some replacement bulbs. I paid $12.59 with free shipping for two of the bulbs. I replaced the passenger side bulb tonight and the new bulb seems to work fine. It is a slightly different color, but once I replace the other one, they will look fine. It was hard to get the bulb out - took me about an hour and a half because I was trying to be so careful and everything I tried seemed hard. The new bulb went in in about 10 min. So how come anyone would spend $50 or more on a bulb when I found a pair for $13 bucks? I dont get it. Even if these don't last too long, what a savings! The seller was "Auto Armour" with an ebay store of Auto Armour Car Covers.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't speak to that seller or the quality of their bulbs but http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Xenon-Headlight-Bulb-Pack/dp/B00480J4KA are currently $33.99 (not the right ones for 06-09 Priuses).

FWIW, at last check, Toyota wants $150 per D4R bulb only (the ones on the 06-09 Priuses), a reduction from $300.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because generic bulbs have lower standards and quailty control compared to oem bulbs. They have a tendency to vary inr color, run hotter, lower output and seating issues that can result in imperfect cutoff lines (when used in a projector style headlight). You get what you pay for. :) In the poor Prius reflector style HID system it probably doesn't matter though.