1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Headlight Question….. One of Mine Flickers……

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Michael Crestohl, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Michael Crestohl

Michael Crestohl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is my first encounter with HID headlights….. my other cars have halogen lights. If I had a choice I probably would have gone with them or LED headlights but the Prii (both of them) came with the HID headlights already installed and as long as they work I am good with them. “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! “

One of them flickers almost imperceptibly but enough to be annoying. I understand the basic principles of these high-voltage devices in that they have a ballast that increases the voltage and I am wondering if this flickering effect might be caused by a defective ballast or the bulb itself.

As always thank you all for sharing your knowledge and wisdom,

Michael Crestohl

2. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't heard or witnessed any flickering with the headlamps in our Prius.

When I first bought our car, I was concerned there's no headlights to replace so asked a master Toyota mechanic. He told me Toyota began using them in vehicles starting around 2014 and the only time he's seen them go bad is when they get a crack and water gets into them.

Since replacing a headlamp is around $500, I'd get a video of the "flickering" and make an appointment with my dealer to have them check it out while you're still under factory warranty....could be defective or could be a loose connection.