1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID headlight replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IndySteve, May 7, 2011.

1. IndySteve

IndySteve New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone had their HID replaced under the new warranty, extended to five years/50K?

I had my left one replaced this week, and almost immediately the right one went out. Off and on. Could they have done something to cause this to happen. They didn't replace the ECB; should I demand they do that now?

Thx.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They tend to go out at the same time, typically within a few days/weeks of each other. The ECU/ballast does not usually go bad; that was a common mis-diagnosis from years past, due to the on/off behavior of a dying bulb. My personal opinion of best practices is to replace both bulbs at the same time, and keep the one that still works as an emergency spare. It's kinda funny that Toyota does not do this, since someone coming in under warranty for one bulb will be back shortly for the other, if they don't replace them both to start with.